Ideas needed to turn snow blower chute

/ Ideas needed to turn snow blower chute #21  

Attachments

• 40553674.jpg
    40553674.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 1,168
Last edited:
   / Ideas needed to turn snow blower chute #22  
Mine (as yet untested due to an annoyingly mild winter) runs a 24V DC table-leg extender (electric actuator) taken from a scrapped office table, and motor very similar to a car window-winder motor or a windscreen wiper unit.

It all runs happily on 12V, and seems to have some power to it. Full rotation and full spout movement can be achieved in 7 seconds or so.

Linky: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...-yet-another-snowblower-chute-conversion.html
(you've probably seen it already though)

/ Ideas needed to turn snow blower chute #23  
For my 2 cents the most cost effective is to use a 'el cheepo' 2000 lb ATV winch as found on EBay and many other sources.
Generally in the $50. is range.
You mount it vertically on the blower frame, shorten the cable to allow some 8 or so turns on the winch and one complete turn around the snow chute (much like the hand crank version).
The major challenge is to modify the cable attachment on the winch so that the shortened cable is attached centered on the winch drum, doable but can be a challenge to some.
Those winch kits even include a reversing switch!
On mine I drilled and fed the cable and then drove in a wedge.
Have fun and good luck.

I did the exact same thing. It works flawlessly. :thumbsup:

/ Ideas needed to turn snow blower chute #24  
I don't know if anyone else has thought of this but,...I'm going to try to find a handle with thumb controlled two rocker switches in it to go on my 3PH draft control?? , the thing that lower/raises the 3PH. I came to quickly discover a joystick for your snowblower chute control really doesn't wrk that well because your constantly going between the draft lever & the joystick with your right hand.

/ Ideas needed to turn snow blower chute #25  
I don't know if anyone else has thought of this but,...I'm going to try to find a handle with thumb controlled two rocker switches in it to go on my 3PH draft control?? , the thing that lower/raises the 3PH. I came to quickly discover a joystick for your snowblower chute control really doesn't wrk that well because your constantly going between the draft lever & the joystick with your right hand.

mine comes with something like this. i bolt it on for the winter...remove it come summer

mine comes from quickattach equipment, but heres a site selling these and similar items.
http://www.suregripcontrols.com/

Attachments

• good controller view.jpg
    good controller view.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 1,025
   / Ideas needed to turn snow blower chute #26  
I bought a power window motor from the junk yard for $25. The motor has a gear that connected to the gearing on the window. I found that a socket (I think 7/8") fit it perfectly. I then cut the tube used for the crank and the inside diameter fit the outside of a 9/16" cracked socket I had. Then I cut a 3/8" square stock about 1 inch or so long to connect the two.

Then I fabbed up a little mount for the motor and wired it to a DPDT (Double pull/double throw) switch. I put an inline 10 amp fuse. Works like a charm.

The switch is an ON - OFF - ON with a spring that makes it go back to off when you let go of the switch. Pull it one way to go right, the other way to go left and let go of the switch and the chute motor stays off. Someone here helped me identify the type of switch I needed and told me how to wire it.

If you go this route, post back and one of us can tell you all about the switch required.

Here's some pics.

Attachments

• 12volt Chute rotator.jpg
    12volt Chute rotator.jpg
    490.1 KB · Views: 2,492
  • Motor with Socket.jpg
    Motor with Socket.jpg
    527.1 KB · Views: 1,174
  • Chute Axle with Socket.jpg
    Chute Axle with Socket.jpg
    450.6 KB · Views: 1,784
  • Window Motor.jpg
    Window Motor.jpg
    366.1 KB · Views: 2,100
   / Ideas needed to turn snow blower chute #27  
I forgot to mention I use an old wiper motor it works well but have to be insulated as the case is a ground so to make it reversable the case actually will become "positive'' Just something to consider..

/ Ideas needed to turn snow blower chute #28  
In my case, the motor was insulated and designed to be spun either way.

/ Ideas needed to turn snow blower chute #29  
Yep power windows go both ways where a wiper motro only designed to go one way.It was easy to insulate it with some rubber innertube. And I used rubber hose to connect the shaft to the output shaft.

/ Ideas needed to turn snow blower chute #30  
i just used a rope wound twice around bottom of chute were cable was and extended each end to the cab .pull either rope to turn chute either way, works great, no effort ,no wires

cheap and simple used it for 15 years