Ideas needed to turn snow blower chute

/ Ideas needed to turn snow blower chute #31  
   / Ideas needed to turn snow blower chute #32  
YEAH LIKE THAT. I'd just get a waterproof one though & mount it right directly on the lever arm.
they are sweet. i just grip mine like i do the regular joystick.

I have a cab so i dont care about the waterproof...but come to think about it.. i never even thought about that LOL:laughing:

/ Ideas needed to turn snow blower chute #33  
haroldy said:
i just used a rope wound twice around bottom of chute were cable was and extended each end to the cab .pull either rope to turn chute either way, works great, no effort ,no wires

cheap and simple used it for 15 years

I hope that rope never gets twisted around your pto.

Last edited:
   / Ideas needed to turn snow blower chute #34  
I've just recently posted mine in the "snow removal" section. It's an old Woods SB74.

Dr. Mac

/ Ideas needed to turn snow blower chute #35  
I bought a power window motor from the junk yard for $25. The motor has a gear that connected to the gearing on the window. I found that a socket (I think 7/8") fit it perfectly. I then cut the tube used for the crank and the inside diameter fit the outside of a 9/16" cracked socket I had. Then I cut a 3/8" square stock about 1 inch or so long to connect the two.

Then I fabbed up a little mount for the motor and wired it to a DPDT (Double pull/double throw) switch. I put an inline 10 amp fuse. Works like a charm.

The switch is an ON - OFF - ON with a spring that makes it go back to off when you let go of the switch. Pull it one way to go right, the other way to go left and let go of the switch and the chute motor stays off. Someone here helped me identify the type of switch I needed and told me how to wire it.

If you go this route, post back and one of us can tell you all about the switch required.

Here's some pics.

GPintheMitten

You did a good job, nice and clean design.

/ Ideas needed to turn snow blower chute #36  
Thanks, rgs. I got the idea from someone on this forum.

/ Ideas needed to turn snow blower chute #37  
I just switched mine over this winter. Last winter I run the snow blower on the back of my MF 135 so when I put it on the back of my new LS 7010 I put a hydraulic cylinder. Didn't see much since of having to get out of a heated cab. Here is a couple photo's. As long as you have a welder it is pretty easy.

006.jpg

Attachments

• 1354390069366.jpg
    1354390069366.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:
   / Ideas needed to turn snow blower chute #38  
I did mine a completely different way. I used a 2000# winch from Harbor Freight with steel cable for the rotator. There is also a cover over it to keep the snow out.

Attachments

• PB100014.JPG
    PB100014.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 783
   / Ideas needed to turn snow blower chute #39  
I did mine a completely different way. I used a 2000# winch from Harbor Freight with steel cable for the rotator. There is also a cover over it to keep the snow out.

Did the same thing. :thumbsup:
Used some rope as a test, plan to replace w/ cable again.
694ecc8f.jpg

/ Ideas needed to turn snow blower chute #40  
I recently received a PM asking for more details on what I did. For anyone who wants to do something like this in the future, I learned from someone else on the forum that the switch should be a DPDT (double pole, double throw) switch which reverses the polarity to the DC motor in order to spin it in either direction.

The DPDT switch needs to be "momentary on"...off ... "momentary on", rather than just on, because when you let your finger off the switch, you want the spring in it to cause it to return to the neutral (off) position so that the motor doesn't keep spinning. You also want to put an inline fuse in case you do keep spinning the motor past the stops on the chute rotator. Better to blow the inline fuse than burn up the motor. The switch terminal looks like this:

DPDTswitch.jpg

Note there are 6 total terminals. Here's how you wire it:

WiringDPDT.jpg

You can get them as rocker switches or toggle switches. Just google DPDT and you'll get a lot of information and places to buy them. But you should be able to buy one at the local autoparts store, as well.

Here's a link on how to wire it:

http://www.instructables.com/id/HOW-...-reversing-po/

Here's a link for a source for a toggle DPDT: Parts Express

I bought a power window motor from the junk yard for $25. The motor has a gear that connected to the gearing on the window. I found that a socket (I think 7/8") fit it perfectly. I then cut the tube used for the crank and the inside diameter fit the outside of a 9/16" cracked socket I had. Then I cut a 3/8" square stock about 1 inch or so long to connect the two.

Then I fabbed up a little mount for the motor and wired it to a DPDT (Double pull/double throw) switch. I put an inline 10 amp fuse. Works like a charm.

The switch is an ON - OFF - ON with a spring that makes it go back to off when you let go of the switch. Pull it one way to go right, the other way to go left and let go of the switch and the chute motor stays off. Someone here helped me identify the type of switch I needed and told me how to wire it.

If you go this route, post back and one of us can tell you all about the switch required.

Here's some pics.