Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son
Based on what I've seen of your work, if you consider the other guy's stuff too much for you; just think how far above and beyond it is for us mere mortals. :D

It is pretty mind blowing. Very very detailed. That's why mine is just going to "look" like a twenty two. Maybe I'll do something more crazy when I retire in 25 years.

+1.

I am truly impressed with all of your skills.

No come on man, get busy! We want to see more !!! :)

Thank you. Having some vacation days to burn at work and a good plan is helping things along.

Well, gotta keep the updates going.

Finished a sweep cut on the front end of the frame.
BD0377.jpg

Started welding on pieces for the tensioner.
BD0382.jpg

One track frame is almost complete.
BD0384.jpg

BD0385.jpg

Started cutting the bevel on the wheels. Want to get those finished so I can press in the shafts.

BD0379.jpg

BD0380.jpg

That is all for now. Thanks for looking.

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #113  
Looks great. Wish my Dad would of put even a 1/4 the time into project for me like you are for your son. Nice job!!

Chris

Haven't gotten as much done during my break as I'd like. I've been helping my Dad make some cabinets.

And not too many pictures because it isn't very exciting work. Just making shafts, spacers and truing up the idler wheels. And putting some things together.

SAM_0992_zpsf3921701.jpg

SAM_0993_zps61abb872.jpg

Still waiting on the new sprockets. I don't want to admit that I made a mistake and need to get new ones made. Once I know everything fits, I'll move on to the other side.

SAM_1026_zpsd65086eb.jpg

Got some pieces from a friend with a CNC plasma table. I had him cut out a lot of the gussets and plates I'll need for the frame. It saves me a ton of time.

SAM_1030_zps88604ece.jpg

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #115  
Looking good. That sure looks like a fun project.

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #116  
Still a fascinating project!

After it's all said and done, you should put together a set of instructions or plans as a DIY project to sell!

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #117  
I'm wondering why you choose to machine components on a mill that can easily be done on a lathe, or is it because you can?

By the way, beautiful engineering.

Still a fascinating project!

After it's all said and done, you should put together a set of instructions or plans as a DIY project to sell!

I've thought about it. Right now, it's probably too complicated for the majority of people that would be interested in building something like this being that it takes a large mill and some pretty thick steel. And access to a pile of scrap. I've made it that way to make it challenging for me but I would need to make it a little simpler and a little more standardized than it is now. We'll see how this first one turns out.

I'm wondering why you choose to machine components on a mill that can easily be done on a lathe, or is it because you can?

Couple reasons. First, new tool (rotary table) so I wanted to play on that. Second, my lathe is pretty week. It could have handled the size of the idler wheels but it would have taken forever to clean up. The mill was a lot faster. Someday, I'll get a new lathe. But I make do with what I have. That's part of the challenge is working with what you have.

Nothing really exciting going on. I switched over to getting the pumps mounted. Just making parts. Didn't take a ton of pictures.

Used a hole saw to drill the hole then got it up to 3.25" with a boring bar for the pump pilot diameter.
SAM_1042a_zps1b454d05.jpg

Then I bent the edges in my homemade brake.
SAM_1042_zpsdaa7ff74.jpg

Then I made some random parts for the jackshaft assembly. I plan to drop down the belt from the engine to the pumps.

SAM_1045_zps567076f0.jpg

SAM_1048_zps2f58333a.jpg

Then I tack welded it to the frame.

SAM_1049_zps42a68de5.jpg

Then mounted the pumps to check it out.

SAM_1051_zpsa6845db8.jpg

I still have to order the pulleys.

SAM_1052_zps134b85d7.jpg

That is all for now.