Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #141  
Corel is a PITA but I started with it at 2.0 . Just remember to convert to curves prior to export to vectorization and you should be good.

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #142  
Corel is a PITA but I started with it at 2.0 . Just remember to convert to curves prior to export to vectorization and you should be good.

Convert to curves to vectorization. Then export

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son
Finished machining the motor mount block.

photo9898_zps06a07cda.jpg

Welded on the tensioner rails. I need to clean off my welding table.

SAM_1078_zps9ade9643.jpg

SAM_1080_zps14c5f09d.jpg

Last edited:
   / Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #144  
I am enjoying your posts. No doubt that you are a machinist.

I am enjoying your posts. No doubt that you are a machinist.

Weird part is....I'm not. But I like the challenge and I like to learn.

So I'm not wasting anytime on the new sprockets.

Had to finish machine the bore. The sprocket will rest on that instead of relying on the bolts. This will keep it centered and transfer the weight directly to the spindle of the motor.

BD0426_zps8f776f94.jpg

Then drilled the 5 bolt pattern

BD0428_zpsaa23a22a.jpg

Now I have to mount the rotary table and machine a 1/8" recess to clear the hub flange. Need to do this because of stack up issues. Hard to explain. Remember, I got these hubs from the old transmission. So I had to work with what I got. And I also need to cut a chamfer to clear the weld between the hub and the hub flange.

Here is a close up of the cut.

BD0429_zps0bc5e0a3.jpg

That's from a plasma cutter.

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #146  
I just noticed this thread. WOW! The best part about this will be the life-long lesson you will have taught your son. From watching and helping my dad around the farm, I learned that with enough time and money, I can figure out how to fix or build just about anything. I decided to become a teacher so I could try to pass this on to any student that will listen. It is unfortunate, but father/son projects are extremely rare these days. When I get to talking with my students about tools and projects, 90% of the time the students mention their grandparents first. I can only assume this is because these skills are not being passed down. Way to go man!

Considering the meticulous attention to detail and heavy-duty nature of this project, I have to ask: What's the deal with that engine? Are you planning for such deep gear reduction that a larger engine would not be needed? I think a 3 cyl diesel would be really nice on there :thumbsup:

I just noticed this thread. WOW! The best part about this will be the life-long lesson you will have taught your son. From watching and helping my dad around the farm, I learned that with enough time and money, I can figure out how to fix or build just about anything. I decided to become a teacher so I could try to pass this on to any student that will listen. It is unfortunate, but father/son projects are extremely rare these days. When I get to talking with my students about tools and projects, 90% of the time the students mention their grandparents first. I can only assume this is because these skills are not being passed down. Way to go man!

Considering the meticulous attention to detail and heavy-duty nature of this project, I have to ask: What's the deal with that engine? Are you planning for such deep gear reduction that a larger engine would not be needed? I think a 3 cyl diesel would be really nice on there :thumbsup:

That's true these days. Seems that almost anything can be bought so why make it. And a lot of people just don't care to fix anything because replacements are so cheap. I fixed a 40" LCD tv two years ago ($4 worth of capacitors) and my fridge a few months ago ($20 for a thermistor and cover) all by googling it. And just trying. I really had nothing to lose.

Well, I got a good deal on the engine at the time. The mower with the old transmissions (that I no longer have) had a 18hp twin cylinder engine which is too big physically for the dozer. The mower was 2,200 lbs and ran 3 blades. My dozer was going to weigh less than half that. And not run mower blades. So I guessed that 12.5hp was enough. Now that I have new pumps, I was able to find the spec sheets. A quick glance looks like I should get 140 ft-lbs of torque from each side. I'm going to get the setup running and I'll take a closer look at the curves. I may spring for a 15hp Kohler. We'll see. Diesel would be fun but that would be even more money that I don't have and a 3 cyl would be way too big. The sound would be cool though.

Geez.. don't give him ideas. He changes it enough as it is... lol

This change would be simple. I promise. No more changes after that.

Haven't taken many pictures. Just been going to town on different parts.

Had to machine the sprocket for the hub. It sets in by about an 1/8" (because of stack up issues). And had to cut a chamfer for the weld.

SAM_1097_zps641c5b97.jpg

Almost finished the second frame rail. Just a few small things to do.

SAM_1093_zpsd241905e.jpg

SAM_1095_zpsef4cca61.jpg

It should be sitting on tracks by early April.

That is all.

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #149  
Weird part is....I'm not. But I like the challenge and I like to learn.

So I'm not wasting anytime on the new sprockets.

Had to finish machine the bore. The sprocket will rest on that instead of relying on the bolts. This will keep it centered and transfer the weight directly to the spindle of the motor.

BD0426_zps8f776f94.jpg

Then drilled the 5 bolt pattern

BD0428_zpsaa23a22a.jpg

Now I have to mount the rotary table and machine a 1/8" recess to clear the hub flange. Need to do this because of stack up issues. Hard to explain. Remember, I got these hubs from the old transmission. So I had to work with what I got. And I also need to cut a chamfer to clear the weld between the hub and the hub flange.

Here is a close up of the cut.

BD0429_zps0bc5e0a3.jpg

That's from a plasma cutter.

If you have done all of this, without any prior machine shop experience, my hat is truly off to you. You are using tooling and setups that only someone with machine shop experience would know how to do. If you are learning this as you go it makes this thread pretty awesome.

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #150  
Great project, but hopefully its big enough to fit you to cause you will want to use it unless you have a real dozer. The amount of time and money I have into my second incarnation of a set of tracks, I could have purchased premade tracks and sprockets. Oh well one track is finally done and if it passes the test phase I will be investing another 100 hours into a second track.

Attachments

• FILE0109.jpg
    FILE0109.jpg
    719.3 KB · Views: 580
  • FILE0111.jpg
    FILE0111.jpg
    771 KB · Views: 607