Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son
If you have done all of this, without any prior machine shop experience, my hat is truly off to you. You are using tooling and setups that only someone with machine shop experience would know how to do. If you are learning this as you go it makes this thread pretty awesome.
I watch youtube, read a lot of forums like this, read a lot of books and try. Trust me. I screw up a lot. I just don't show it here :)

Great project, but hopefully its big enough to fit you to cause you will want to use it unless you have a real dozer. The amount of time and money I have into my second incarnation of a set of tracks, I could have purchased premade tracks and sprockets. Oh well one track is finally done and if it passes the test phase I will be investing another 100 hours into a second track.
It's barely big enough to fit me. I knew that from the start. And I don't really need a dozer for myself. I don't have any property unfortunately. I live in suburbia. My neighbors are going to think I'm nuts when they see this thing. We'll take it to my brother's place so my son can play around (he has more property). I'm really just having fun building it.

Don't have many pictures. I haven't had much time so when I'm in the garage, I've been working instead of taking pictures.
BD0440_zps433ad581.jpg

All the cross tubes and plate gussets are cut. I have a friend coming over next weekend to help me tie everything together.

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #152  
What an extraordinary project.
I've seen homebuilt photos with steel tracks, but I also like the rubber tracks, and they will be easier around the garage and yard.

I like the idea of dual hydro transmissions for steering, rather than using steering brakes/clutches. Ahh, that was part of the zero-turn lawnmower. Good idea.

You need to think of some implements like a front or rear lawnmower deck. Did you keep the mower deck from your zero-turn mower?

And, of course, for a kid, a dozer blade, and maybe a front loader!!!!!

Have you seen the Orchard Cat models?
306202_opt.jpg

Hopefully you've been having your son help build his dozer. Where are the photos of a 5 yr old sporting a welding helmet?

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #153  
This has to be one of the best threads. Great Job! Just a thought for the future, can you make it remote control?

What an extraordinary project.
I've seen homebuilt photos with steel tracks, but I also like the rubber tracks, and they will be easier around the garage and yard.

I like the idea of dual hydro transmissions for steering, rather than using steering brakes/clutches. Ahh, that was part of the zero-turn lawnmower. Good idea.

You need to think of some implements like a front or rear lawnmower deck. Did you keep the mower deck from your zero-turn mower?

And, of course, for a kid, a dozer blade, and maybe a front loader!!!!!

Have you seen the Orchard Cat models?

Hopefully you've been having your son help build his dozer. Where are the photos of a 5 yr old sporting a welding helmet?

No mower deck. I only live on a 1/4 acre in suburbia. The plow is a must though for the snow.

And my son is still a little too young to help. He'll be two in June. He'll be wanting to help before I know it though.

This has to be one of the best threads. Great Job! Just a thought for the future, can you make it remote control?

Thanks. Not full remote control but I will have a remote kill switch. It probably wouldn't be too hard to make it full remote control.

So I had a friend of mine come over last night to help out. I didn't take a lot of pictures because most of the time was spent squaring things up and getting everything held together. It was quite a challenge. I ended up within a 32nd and about 0.3 degrees across different areas. Good enough. I'm not building a spaceship.

BD0444_zps2f568edd.jpg

BD0445_zps97e6acb0.jpg

BD0446_zps25d5f114.jpg

BD0452_zpse9556847.jpg

BD0453_zps349ef869.jpg

That is all for now.

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #155  
So I had a friend of mine come over last night to help out. I didn't take a lot of pictures because most of the time was spent squaring things up and getting everything held together. It was quite a challenge. I ended up within a 32nd and about 0.3 degrees across different areas. Good enough. I'm not building a spaceship.

That is all for now.

That's dam good and then some in my opinion.

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #156  
Hurry up! Can't wait to see this thing finished.

Kidding looks awesome.

Are you going for a six way front blade?

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #157  
I just finished reading the whole topic... This is a great project and I know exactly how much time, work and effort (nerves too :)) it takes to build something like this
Dozerbuilder, :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #158  
Really neat, I like your craftsmanship.

That's dam good and then some in my opinion.

That little table gave me a decent base to start with. We spent a good amount of time checking checking and more checking.

Hurry up! Can't wait to see this thing finished.

Kidding looks awesome.

Are you going for a six way front blade?

I still haven't decided exactly. I think I'm going to do hydraulic up and down with manual swivel. Just a pin up front, pull it and rotate the blade. Maybe 5 total stops. But now I'm thinking, what the ****, lets do hydraulic pivot. I don't know though. I keep telling myself this is just for my son. It's just supposed to be a toy even though it's way past that.

Thanks guys for looking. I couldn't help but get the sheet metal out of the shed and put it on. It's pretty much down to the details now. The whole shape is there. I need to make sure everything fits before I weld home the underframe. After that, I hope to take it for a test spin by early summer.

IMG_0484copy_zps2de65193.jpg

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #160  
That is frickin awesome! Nice work!!

Edit: Probably should discuss how the rubber tracks compare to R1, R2, etc.:)