Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #11  
Wow, looks like a very cool project and very impressive so far. Please keep us updated with pics.

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son
Make sure the seat is large enough for you to take the crawler out for a SAFETY TEST ( hint hint).

I made it just big enough to squeeze my *** into the seat. I will be putting in the seat kill switch from the parts mower, the handles return to center when they are let go of, I will lock the throttle in low speed for him and the CG is 12" from the ground with a 34" wide track width. I have had safety on my mind. :D

Also, the lazy chair was at my brothers where I took apart the mowers. No lazy chair in my garage.

Wait until he's a little older and build it WITH him.

Yeah, I think I have a little bit of ADD. I like building things. I do look forward to building things with him. I'd like to use the same concept with the tracks and hydrostatic transmissions and build a small tank. And when he gets a little older, I'd like to build another Jeep.

Finally finished the linkage. Now I just need to sit in it to see where I want the handles to go.

SAM_0691.jpg

SAM_0693.jpg

SAM_0694.jpg

SAM_0695.jpg

All hooked up for a test fit. Still need to weld in the pivot bracket and tubes.
SAM_06951.jpg

SAM_0696.jpg

It was supposed to look like this.
2.jpg

And I also got a late Christmas present.
SAM_0683.jpg

Wanted to see how they looked.
IMG_6707.jpg

That is all for now. Thanks for looking as well as the comments and advice.

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #14  
That's going to be one happy lad :)

Question: where/what are the tracks from?

Like many people here I'm hoping to do something like this with my son when he's grown a bit (7 weeks old at the moment - not *quite* into tractors yet ;)) ... and sourcing the parts in the ext 5 years or so might be a good plan :)

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #15  
What a great project!
By the looks of it, you'll be able to plow the garden with that thing.

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #16  
SensibleNick said:
That's going to be one happy lad :)

Like many people here I'm hoping to do something like this with my son when he's grown a bit (7 weeks old at the moment - not *quite* into tractors yet ;)) ... and sourcing the parts in the ext 5 years or so might be a good plan :)

Have you looked at buying one of the mini dozers you ride on? My grandfather bought one around 6 years ago and it easily fit in the bed of the truck.

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son
Have you looked at buying one of the mini dozers you ride on? My grandfather bought one around 6 years ago and it easily fit in the bed of the truck.

It wouldn't be "build it yourself" if I just bought one. What fun would that be?

They are for a Ditchwitch SK500 and I got them on ebay. It was free shipping and I didn't think the price was too bad.

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #18  
Very nice Emdtrain dude. Would enjoy seeing a little of your shop and the machines your using. Looks like you have some above average stuff and the skills to boot.

Maybe somebody could explain,,,, I thought I understood how this drive system works but after his last pics, I'm not so sure now.

I thought the tranny he was using was from a zero turn, which is a hydro type of drive, no ?
And being hydro drive, I figured it would have 2 small shafts /w levers to control forward and reverse on the 2 drive wheel axles, no ?

But in his latest pics, it looks as if he's going to be moving idler pulleys around ?

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #19  
Impressive project and one that you can be proud of for the rest of your life!!!

Not knowing your son, but having seen what kids do, will there be a way to make sure he doesn't get off the seat while it's moving? I'm worried about his feet on those tracks, and getting them pulled down while it's going.

Eddie

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #20  
Impressive project and one that you can be proud of for the rest of your life!!!

Not knowing your son, but having seen what kids do, will there be a way to make sure he doesn't get off the seat while it's moving? I'm worried about his feet on those tracks, and getting them pulled down while it's going.

Eddie

just a thought....but since it is for kiddy use, how bout some kill switch's like under the seat when the weights not on the seat it kills the machine...and maybe something to keep his hands and feet busy too...