Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1219202122232425 ... LastLast

Default Re: Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son

Quote Originally Posted by ericher69 View Post
    Awesome!

Did you pick a paint scheme from the colour choices?
    I think I'm going with all yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by cschulz View Post
    I have a question, will the blade have tilt.. I can see how it will move at angles and vertical but having tilt would be great for such an awesome build.

Chris
    It will swivel and lift. No tilt. I have run out of room. You can scale the dozer but you can't really scale the hydraulics. It's been challenging making it all fit.

Quote Originally Posted by turnkey4099 View Post
    Great project and very well done. I vote for the Cat yellow. 2 weeks ago I saw a sales bill for a big farm auction a few miles from me. They had a Cat 22 listed. I planned to attend but totally forgot on the sales day. Probably a good thing as I might have wound up with it. All I could have used it for was to run around my 2 acres and recall the days I spent on one working fields for Dad.

Harry K
    There is an auction next week by me. Richie Brothers. They have a whole mess of old Caterpillar dozers including a 22 and a 10. They look to be in decent shape. I'd like to go just to see a real one in person.

So I figured I'm over due for an update. It's crunch time now. With the new baby on the way (cats out of the bag), I'd like to get this thing done so I can focus on the family. This project has been very intense. Now it's all the little detail work to finish up.

Since the pins for the lift cylinder go into a semi-blind hole, I wanted to make some retaining caps. And I felt like learning how to use my rotary table. A little overkill but it was fun.

I've had a lot of people tell me that if I'm going to plow snow, I should make the plow break away in case I hit something. So I made it pivot but I can also lock it in place if I want to.

Made the hydraulic pump bracket and welded it in.

Mounted the pump and filter and started running lines.

Bent the hard lines and running more hoses. I'm glad I modeled all of the hoses in cad. It's coming together just how I expected it to.

Here's the belt tensioner. I'm running out of space. It should work though.

With the new engine being longer, I'm running out of room for a fuel tank. I tried looking for something commercially available (to save time as well) but I couldn't find anything that would work. So I am making my own out of thin wall tubing. I have two. They will be joined with tubing. I'll have just about a gallon of capacity. I bought some Caswell fuel tank sealer to handle my not so perfect welds.

I was playing with the panoramic feature on my phone. Here's where I work on this thing.

And sometimes I don't feel like pulling my wife's car out of the garage so this is how I work.

I hope to run again over Christmas. Do final testing. Start body work. And paint shortly after. We'll see.

Thanks for looking. Hope you all enjoy seeing this project. I started a little over two years ago. I feel like I've come a long way and have learned a lot. Once it's done, I'll be taking it to a few tractor shows around the area. I'll let you all know when I do if you feel like checking it out in person.

Tractor
    2008 Kubota b2920

Wow! Congrats on the baby and progress on the gem...

Can't wait to see her pushing snow in a video??
    ericher69
    IAFF Local 849

Tractor
    Yanmar 2310D

This a great project, been following it since you started and always look forward to your updates.

Tractor
    Kubota BX24; John Deere 4020

Really coming together so cool!! Thanks so much for taking the time to share this with us.

Tractor
    Carolina Clearing, LLC

That panoramic picture made my eyes feel funny!

Tractor
    JD 4310,JD5420

I would call that an efficient use of space of your half of the garage.
    there are 2 kinds of oats. Oats in front of a horse, and oats behind the horse.

Tractor
    Several, all used and abused.

Congratulations on the new baby!!! Will he/she get a scale excavator?

Eddie

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    MF 135

Test your fuel tank for leaks before you install it and fix any leaks with weld. Anything less is a band aid repair. I just came across this thread and it looks interesting. Is there a baffle in the hyd. tank where the 2 hoses are connected? If the return is close to the suction can cause problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Arc weld View Post
    Test your fuel tank for leaks before you install it and fix any leaks with weld. Anything less is a band aid repair. I just came across this thread and it looks interesting. Is there a baffle in the hyd. tank where the 2 hoses are connected? If the return is close to the suction can cause problems.
    No baffle yet but I have a window to access the tank. And the return and suction are on opposite sides of the tank. About 13" apart and will hold 3 gallons of oil.

Quote Originally Posted by EddieWalker View Post
    Congratulations on the new baby!!! Will he/she get a scale excavator?

Eddie
    Thank you. It's a he and I'm thinking a small tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle_in_Tex View Post
    I would call that an efficient use of space of your half of the garage.
    Sometimes I get pissed when I trip over things but that's when I have to stop and clean up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by GolfAddict View Post
    Really coming together so cool!! Thanks so much for taking the time to share this with us.
    I spent several years on the road for work reading about other peoples projects (because there isn't much to do in hotels in remote parts of the country) so this is my way of giving back.

Quote Originally Posted by ericher69 View Post
    Wow! Congrats on the baby and progress on the gem...

Can't wait to see her pushing snow in a video??
    Thank you. I missed a few small snowfalls so far but it should be running shortly after Christmas. Final testing to shake out any bugs and then it's time for paint.

The final details continue.

I'm using a standard single spool valve to control the blade up and down. For the swivel, I'm using an electrohydraulic valve. Reason I didn't use a two spool valve was because having the swivel hydraulically controlled was an after thought. And it would have made it too hard to route hoses. Hose routing, as I've probably mentioned before, has been one of the most difficult parts of this build. But overall, I've very happy with how it turn out.

So the up/down valve will still be controlled by a lever (connected by linkage which you'll see further down) and the elec-hyd valve will be controlled by a toggle switch. I want it on a single handle so I came up with this.

After a little polishing.

Drilled and tapped for the cap.

The switch has a flat so the hole is d-shaped. I probably could have gotten away with a round hole but I felt like putting the rotary table to use.

And since the rotary table was still on the mill, I needed a link for the valve handle. The valve is mounted backwards to help hose routing (because I didn't design everything in the beginning) so this was my solution. The temp piece was used for mock up but I wanted something fancier. Just because.

I need to make a trip to mcmaster next week for bushings so no picture of it mounted yet.

Started putting sheet metal back on.

I'm looking for opinions on mufflers. I always wanted a stack out the top with one of those flapper caps (whatever they are called). Well, I have absolutely no room left. This is the stock muffler which I could keep but it's boring.

Or I picked up this muffler and I'd mount it outside the engine compartment. Also, it should keep heat away from some things.

I can't decide. What do you guys think?

Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1219202122232425 ... LastLast