Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son
Awesome!

Did you pick a paint scheme from the colour choices?

I think I'm going with all yellow.

I have a question, will the blade have tilt.. I can see how it will move at angles and vertical but having tilt would be great for such an awesome build.

Chris

It will swivel and lift. No tilt. I have run out of room. You can scale the dozer but you can't really scale the hydraulics. It's been challenging making it all fit.

Great project and very well done. I vote for the Cat yellow. 2 weeks ago I saw a sales bill for a big farm auction a few miles from me. They had a Cat 22 listed. I planned to attend but totally forgot on the sales day. Probably a good thing as I might have wound up with it. All I could have used it for was to run around my 2 acres and recall the days I spent on one working fields for Dad.

Harry K

There is an auction next week by me. Richie Brothers. They have a whole mess of old Caterpillar dozers including a 22 and a 10. They look to be in decent shape. I'd like to go just to see a real one in person.

So I figured I'm over due for an update. It's crunch time now. With the new baby on the way (cats out of the bag), I'd like to get this thing done so I can focus on the family. This project has been very intense. Now it's all the little detail work to finish up.

Since the pins for the lift cylinder go into a semi-blind hole, I wanted to make some retaining caps. And I felt like learning how to use my rotary table. A little overkill but it was fun.

SAM_1428_zps8060772d.jpg

SAM_1437_zps1fe02c47.jpg

SAM_1433_zps854bba65.jpg

I've had a lot of people tell me that if I'm going to plow snow, I should make the plow break away in case I hit something. So I made it pivot but I can also lock it in place if I want to.

SAM_1456_zps53453678.jpg

Made the hydraulic pump bracket and welded it in.

SAM_1445_zpsdd89eaf2.jpg

Mounted the pump and filter and started running lines.

SAM_1449_zps8f73af40.jpg

Bent the hard lines and running more hoses. I'm glad I modeled all of the hoses in cad. It's coming together just how I expected it to.

SAM_1457_zps61b0fa35.jpg

Here's the belt tensioner. I'm running out of space. It should work though.

SAM_1460_zps5dfc3ba2.jpg

With the new engine being longer, I'm running out of room for a fuel tank. I tried looking for something commercially available (to save time as well) but I couldn't find anything that would work. So I am making my own out of thin wall tubing. I have two. They will be joined with tubing. I'll have just about a gallon of capacity. I bought some Caswell fuel tank sealer to handle my not so perfect welds.

SAM_1454_zpsedfcfdb7.jpg

I was playing with the panoramic feature on my phone. Here's where I work on this thing.

Garage1_zpsdf459841.jpg

And sometimes I don't feel like pulling my wife's car out of the garage so this is how I work.

Garage2_zps3817e10b.jpg

I hope to run again over Christmas. Do final testing. Start body work. And paint shortly after. We'll see.

Thanks for looking. Hope you all enjoy seeing this project. I started a little over two years ago. I feel like I've come a long way and have learned a lot. Once it's done, I'll be taking it to a few tractor shows around the area. I'll let you all know when I do if you feel like checking it out in person.

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #212  
Wow! Congrats on the baby and progress on the gem...

Can't wait to see her pushing snow in a video??

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #213  
This a great project, been following it since you started and always look forward to your updates.

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #214  
Really coming together so cool!! Thanks so much for taking the time to share this with us.

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #215  
That panoramic picture made my eyes feel funny!

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #216  
I would call that an efficient use of space of your half of the garage. :)

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #217  
Congratulations on the new baby!!! Will he/she get a scale excavator? :)

Eddie

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #218  
Test your fuel tank for leaks before you install it and fix any leaks with weld. Anything less is a band aid repair. I just came across this thread and it looks interesting. Is there a baffle in the hyd. tank where the 2 hoses are connected? If the return is close to the suction can cause problems.

Test your fuel tank for leaks before you install it and fix any leaks with weld. Anything less is a band aid repair. I just came across this thread and it looks interesting. Is there a baffle in the hyd. tank where the 2 hoses are connected? If the return is close to the suction can cause problems.

No baffle yet but I have a window to access the tank. And the return and suction are on opposite sides of the tank. About 13" apart and will hold 3 gallons of oil.

Congratulations on the new baby!!! Will he/she get a scale excavator? :)

Eddie

Thank you. It's a he and I'm thinking a small tank. :)

I would call that an efficient use of space of your half of the garage. :)

Sometimes I get pissed when I trip over things but that's when I have to stop and clean up a bit.

Really coming together so cool!! Thanks so much for taking the time to share this with us.

I spent several years on the road for work reading about other peoples projects (because there isn't much to do in hotels in remote parts of the country) so this is my way of giving back.

Wow! Congrats on the baby and progress on the gem...

Can't wait to see her pushing snow in a video??

Thank you. I missed a few small snowfalls so far but it should be running shortly after Christmas. Final testing to shake out any bugs and then it's time for paint.

The final details continue.

I'm using a standard single spool valve to control the blade up and down. For the swivel, I'm using an electrohydraulic valve. Reason I didn't use a two spool valve was because having the swivel hydraulically controlled was an after thought. And it would have made it too hard to route hoses. Hose routing, as I've probably mentioned before, has been one of the most difficult parts of this build. But overall, I've very happy with how it turn out.

So the up/down valve will still be controlled by a lever (connected by linkage which you'll see further down) and the elec-hyd valve will be controlled by a toggle switch. I want it on a single handle so I came up with this.

BD0583_zpsf147b961.jpg

BD0585_zps1be8bdf4.jpg

BD0587_zpsedd8cada.jpg

BD0588_zps179c0423.jpg

BD0589_zps6eb575c7.jpg

BD0590_zps01c72fc1.jpg

BD0591_zps5ac4313a.jpg

After a little polishing.
BD0593_zpsfb19c5b6.jpg

Drilled and tapped for the cap.

BD0596_zps06a08915.jpg

The switch has a flat so the hole is d-shaped. I probably could have gotten away with a round hole but I felt like putting the rotary table to use.

BD0598_zpsea9434c5.jpg

BD0601_zpsc02c6856.jpg

BD0606_zps4c748558.jpg

And since the rotary table was still on the mill, I needed a link for the valve handle. The valve is mounted backwards to help hose routing (because I didn't design everything in the beginning) so this was my solution. The temp piece was used for mock up but I wanted something fancier. Just because.

BD0612_zpscd72be31.jpg

BD0609_zps1285e15c.jpg

BD0610_zpsbe0a0ef1.jpg

BD0611_zps2ab6534c.jpg

I need to make a trip to mcmaster next week for bushings so no picture of it mounted yet.

Started putting sheet metal back on.

BD0614_zpsd6c0abed.jpg

I'm looking for opinions on mufflers. I always wanted a stack out the top with one of those flapper caps (whatever they are called). Well, I have absolutely no room left. This is the stock muffler which I could keep but it's boring.

BD0621_zps9c0a5779.jpg

Or I picked up this muffler and I'd mount it outside the engine compartment. Also, it should keep heat away from some things.

BD0618_zps6a5361f1.jpg

BD0619_zps83d5e734.jpg

I can't decide. What do you guys think?