Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son
Been a busy few weeks with birthdays but I did manage to get a few things done.

Since I mounted the transmissions 5 inches closer together, the oil filters won't work since the center sections are the same. It's only the outputs that flip which means the oil filters point the same way.

A little hard to see in this picture.
DSC06617.jpg

IMG_0732.jpg

IMG_0737.jpg

IMG_0730.jpg

I know the bottom hole is pretty close to the edge. I used some scraps of steel and it's what I had.

Then I mounted remote oil filters.

SAM_0718.jpg

And my mom finished up the arm rests.
SAM_0717.jpg

Also got the engine fixed up and it runs.

That is all for now.

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #32  
I just get more impressed with every update!!!!

Eddie

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #33  
Awesome.

I love the way you can get your mind about using used stuff in your project. The drive train should be fine if it will develop enough torque to turn the tracts but you may use gears to do that on the tract drives.

Keep the posts coming.

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #34  
Awesome project. Put me on the list for a production version.
hugs, Brandi

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #35  
That's going to be one happy lad :)

Understatement of the year!! That boy will never be able to wipe the grin off his face after his first ride!!!

This is one of the coolest projects I've ever seen on the forums!

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #36  
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The creativity, talent, and engineering skill of people of this forum never ceases to amaze me! Looking forward to seeing the finished product and the happy recipient of that dozer. Keep up the excellent work.

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #37  
Very cool! Nice work.

Another safety idea for you - you could add light bumpers front and rear that are allowed to pivot; add a switch that kills the ignition if it runs into anything (need an override switch to restart it though). You could make them removeable to keep the machine clean if they are no longer needed.

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #38  
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The creativity, talent, and engineering skill of people of this forum never ceases to amaze me! Looking forward to seeing the finished product and the happy recipient of that dozer. Keep up the excellent work.

2x for sure.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I balance between designing in CAD and just building as I go. Sometimes I miss stuff though....

So time for a little update since it's been a while.

At little off course but I felt like jumping to something else. If you look on the first page, the scale model has a grill. I was going to use 1/8" x 1/2" steel strips to make my grill and I wanted the twist that I've seen in some real pictures.

So I have a piece of steel I sliced in half on the band saw (wasn't perfect) and cut a 1/2" wide slot.
SAM_0709.jpg

I welded the two halves back together. Then I mounted it in the lathe and started turning it down.
SAM_0711.jpg

SAM_0715.jpg

Finished it with a hole for a rod to twist the piece.
SAM_0740.jpg

This is the base. I milled a slot to align the bar stock. Didn't take too many pictures. I also used another piece of tube for a stop.
SAM_0739.jpg

SAM_0741.jpg

Finished product.
SAM_0745.jpg

SAM_0748.jpg

May seem like a waste of time. Could have probably done them by hand in a vise but I like the consistency of the tool which give it a nicer look. And lets me practice on the lathe which I'm not as good at.

Now, back to the main frame.

I need to support the outer ends of the transmissions.
SAM_0719a.jpg

SAM_0719b.jpg

SAM_0719c.jpg

SAM_0719d.jpg

SAM_0724.jpg

This is with the frame upside down.
SAM_0728.jpg

Picked up fittings and hose to run to the remote oil filters since I couldn't keep the factory set up.
SAM_0729.jpg

SAM_0731.jpg

Also worked on the design a little more. Tried to finish up the body panels for mounting the tank and the foot well area. And I wanted to see what it would look like in grey (like a model 15).
33.jpg

That is all for now.

My mom finished sewing the seat for me.

SAM_0751a.jpg