Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast
    Bronze Member

Default Re: Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son

Quote Originally Posted by EddieWalker View Post
    Thank you for sharing the pics of your progress. You are an artist and a craftsman!!!! Rare to find somebody with one of those qualities, but you excel at both of them.

Eddie
    Quote Originally Posted by Domush View Post
    This is an amazing project! You have some serious design and fabrication skills! I'm in awe. I can't wait to see the startup test.
    Thanks guys. I appreciate it. I do this because I enjoy it and want to learn more but I also do it to be a better engineer at work. I work with so many people that are book smart but don't have the slightest bit of common sense. I once handed a ratchet to a guy to remove a part and you'd swear he thought it was going to bite him. It's a shame that schools rarely have shop classes anymore. I'm 30 and we didn't have it. Luckily my Dad did have those classes when he was young and taught me a lot when I was growing up. I took it a step further when I was around my first mill when I was in college. Used it to build parts for a jet engine. Bought one shortly after I got a job after graduation. Then started doing more metal work. All pretty much self taught or talking to guys in the plant. I hope to pass this all on to my son. Sorry, went on a tangent there.

Quote Originally Posted by bobhaub View Post
    Very nice fabrication work, dozerbuilder01.

I have a question about bending 1/2" square tubing. Did you bend it cold, or did you heat it?

I have some 4" aluminum bar stock, so I can make a 1.5" radius die. Would that work better than the 1" radius die you used? I'm making pannier racks, so the larger radius is not a issue.

Thanks,
    Bob
    Bent cold. Really easily too with about a 3 foot bar. A bigger radius would be better. The 1/2" radius die I used was just too tight. It would tear the steel half way through. The 1" radius would dimple a little on the outer radius.

The other thing is to use a square follower like I did. I first had a round die and it would dimple the leading edge of the bend. It's hard to see in this picture but it annoyed me.

The last thing would be that it would squeeze the bar between the die sides which made it hard to get out. I got better at it but maybe some grease in the die would help.

Tractor
    JD 790, Ford 8N

Thanks for the feedback, dozerbuilder01.

I'm embarrassed to ask, but what's a square follower?

I was thinking of turning a one-sided die that I'd bolt to my welding table with pieces of angle tack-welded to the table to anchor the fixed end. If the workpiece got stuck during bending, I could just loosen the bolt holding the die and it should slide right out. Sound reasonable?

Thanks,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by dozerbuilder01 View Post
    Bent cold. Really easily too with about a 3 foot bar. A bigger radius would be better. The 1/2" radius die I used was just too tight. It would tear the steel half way through. The 1" radius would dimple a little on the outer radius.

The other thing is to use a square follower like I did. I first had a round die and it would dimple the leading edge of the bend. It's hard to see in this picture but it annoyed me.

The last thing would be that it would squeeze the bar between the die sides which made it hard to get out. I got better at it but maybe some grease in the die would help.

Tractor
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410

That is amazing, you do some really nice work.
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410 - WR Long 64" Grapple (best attachment ever!) QA front forks, rear forks, Brown 472 HD Rotary Mower, Land Pride RBT4096 hydro blade, Woods 7200 Power Rake, homemade 3 pt log splitter, Land Pride rake/blade combo, Land Pride HRL 3578 box blade (Hydro scarifiers), Shaver SC50 3 pt. Stumpgrinder, FitRiteHydraulics TnT, 6" Vermeer PTO Chipper (Hydro feed), Disc Plow, Ratchet Rake, LP HD25 Hydraulic PHD, Woodmizer LT15 portable sawmill
    Rear Remotes Install

Tractor
    Kioti CK30 HST

Subscribing to this thread so I don't miss anything. Can't wait for the next photo.... Beautiful project.
    With a CK30 you have the whole world in your hands.

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by bobhaub View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, dozerbuilder01.

I'm embarrassed to ask, but what's a square follower?

I was thinking of turning a one-sided die that I'd bolt to my welding table with pieces of angle tack-welded to the table to anchor the fixed end. If the workpiece got stuck during bending, I could just loosen the bolt holding the die and it should slide right out. Sound reasonable?

Thanks,
    Bob
    No worries. I make up definitions sometimes. Send me a private message with your email address and I'll send you some more pictures.

Bronze Member

So, a small update. Been busy around the house. Added a front porch at the wife's request. And since I was at it, I added a driveway spur to park my jeep without having to shuffle cars all around in the morning. And since I was getting a load of concrete, I added a pad out back for a bigger shed.

Managed to do a little bit on the dozer though.

The hoods that I've made so far just aren't makin me happy. I was getting close but I was having a hard time making it out of one piece. So I split the best one I had and did one side at a time.

To get that crown that I am looking for, I had to use ratchet straps to do it. It worked out alright.

The bar clamps helped line everything up while I drilled holes. The grill and tank have flanges that the hood will mount to.

To keep the crown, I added braces. They were eventually welded together with another filler piece.

Lines up much better now.

And I'll tack weld the two pieces together and hopefully not warp too much. Still going to have to do a little bit of bodywork. But I think I can live with this one.

And I also broke down and bought the diecast model of a twenty two.

That is all for now. Should pick up once these temps get back to normal around here.
    Last edited by dozerbuilder01; 07-08-2012 at 12:49 AM.

Tractor
    Kioti CK20 HST

Awesome project!
    Derek
    Kioti CK20HST
    KL120 FEL // KB2365 BH // 60" JRW 3ph snowblower // 48" HD Boxblade
    Sims-Cab Depot heated cab
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondPilot
    Now it's time for Ford and GM to step up

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1215, Toro 266-H, Pennsylvania Panzer, Case 444, Craftsman 14/6

That die cast model will likely help you in the continuing design phases.

Good work.
    From now on I will only buy cars that are a silver/grey color. Then I can make all body repairs with Duct Tape.

Tractor
    hihi

good project!!!

Bronze Member

Took some time off to finish up all of the house projects. Also took a break from the dozer and did something else. Wife wanted a porch swing. And I always wanted a ring roller. So I built both. I know it isn't related but I do have an update on the dozer too.

Still need to paint it but haven't decided how I want to yet.

So tonight, I got back to the dozer a bit. Nothing really exciting but I finished the lower side panels of the engine area. After cutting all of these pieces with a straight edge and cutoff wheel on a Metabo, I really wish I had a CNC plasma.

Also tried to wrap up the cad models for the drive sprocket and tensioner wheel. The guy I know got his hi def cnc plasma installed in his shop now. He still offered to cut them out for me so I want to get that going soon.

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast