Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son
Thank you for sharing the pics of your progress. You are an artist and a craftsman!!!! Rare to find somebody with one of those qualities, but you excel at both of them.

Eddie

This is an amazing project! You have some serious design and fabrication skills! I'm in awe. I can't wait to see the startup test.

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. I do this because I enjoy it and want to learn more but I also do it to be a better engineer at work. I work with so many people that are book smart but don't have the slightest bit of common sense. I once handed a ratchet to a guy to remove a part and you'd swear he thought it was going to bite him. It's a shame that schools rarely have shop classes anymore. I'm 30 and we didn't have it. Luckily my Dad did have those classes when he was young and taught me a lot when I was growing up. I took it a step further when I was around my first mill when I was in college. Used it to build parts for a jet engine. Bought one shortly after I got a job after graduation. Then started doing more metal work. All pretty much self taught or talking to guys in the plant. I hope to pass this all on to my son. Sorry, went on a tangent there.

Very nice fabrication work, dozerbuilder01.

I have a question about bending 1/2" square tubing. Did you bend it cold, or did you heat it?

I have some 4" aluminum bar stock, so I can make a 1.5" radius die. Would that work better than the 1" radius die you used? I'm making pannier racks, so the larger radius is not a issue.

Thanks,
Bob

Bent cold. Really easily too with about a 3 foot bar. A bigger radius would be better. The 1/2" radius die I used was just too tight. It would tear the steel half way through. The 1" radius would dimple a little on the outer radius.
photo1-1.jpg

The other thing is to use a square follower like I did. I first had a round die and it would dimple the leading edge of the bend. It's hard to see in this picture but it annoyed me.
photo2.jpg

The last thing would be that it would squeeze the bar between the die sides which made it hard to get out. I got better at it but maybe some grease in the die would help.

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #62  
Thanks for the feedback, dozerbuilder01.

I'm embarrassed to ask, but what's a square follower?

I was thinking of turning a one-sided die that I'd bolt to my welding table with pieces of angle tack-welded to the table to anchor the fixed end. If the workpiece got stuck during bending, I could just loosen the bolt holding the die and it should slide right out. Sound reasonable?

Thanks,
Bob

Bent cold. Really easily too with about a 3 foot bar. A bigger radius would be better. The 1/2" radius die I used was just too tight. It would tear the steel half way through. The 1" radius would dimple a little on the outer radius.

The other thing is to use a square follower like I did. I first had a round die and it would dimple the leading edge of the bend. It's hard to see in this picture but it annoyed me.

The last thing would be that it would squeeze the bar between the die sides which made it hard to get out. I got better at it but maybe some grease in the die would help.

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #63  
That is amazing, you do some really nice work. :thumbsup:

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #64  
Subscribing to this thread so I don't miss anything. Can't wait for the next photo.... Beautiful project.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the feedback, dozerbuilder01.

I'm embarrassed to ask, but what's a square follower?

I was thinking of turning a one-sided die that I'd bolt to my welding table with pieces of angle tack-welded to the table to anchor the fixed end. If the workpiece got stuck during bending, I could just loosen the bolt holding the die and it should slide right out. Sound reasonable?

Thanks,
Bob

No worries. I make up definitions sometimes. Send me a private message with your email address and I'll send you some more pictures.

So, a small update. Been busy around the house. Added a front porch at the wife's request. And since I was at it, I added a driveway spur to park my jeep without having to shuffle cars all around in the morning. And since I was getting a load of concrete, I added a pad out back for a bigger shed.

Managed to do a little bit on the dozer though.

The hoods that I've made so far just aren't makin me happy. I was getting close but I was having a hard time making it out of one piece. So I split the best one I had and did one side at a time.
IMG_01901.jpg

To get that crown that I am looking for, I had to use ratchet straps to do it. It worked out alright.
IMG_0196.jpg

The bar clamps helped line everything up while I drilled holes. The grill and tank have flanges that the hood will mount to.

To keep the crown, I added braces. They were eventually welded together with another filler piece.
IMG_0201.jpg

Lines up much better now.
IMG_0204.jpg

And I'll tack weld the two pieces together and hopefully not warp too much. Still going to have to do a little bit of bodywork. But I think I can live with this one.
IMG_02031.jpg

And I also broke down and bought the diecast model of a twenty two.
IMG_02061.jpg

That is all for now. Should pick up once these temps get back to normal around here.

Last edited:
   / Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #67  
Awesome project! :thumbsup:

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #68  
That die cast model will likely help you in the continuing design phases.

Good work.

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #69  
good project!!!:thumbsup:

Took some time off to finish up all of the house projects. Also took a break from the dozer and did something else. Wife wanted a porch swing. And I always wanted a ring roller. So I built both. I know it isn't related but I do have an update on the dozer too.

photo2.jpg

PS0155.jpg

PS0161.jpg

Still need to paint it but haven't decided how I want to yet.

So tonight, I got back to the dozer a bit. Nothing really exciting but I finished the lower side panels of the engine area. After cutting all of these pieces with a straight edge and cutoff wheel on a Metabo, I really wish I had a CNC plasma.

BD00317.jpg

Also tried to wrap up the cad models for the drive sprocket and tensioner wheel. The guy I know got his hi def cnc plasma installed in his shop now. He still offered to cut them out for me so I want to get that going soon.