Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #1  

dozerbuilder01

Bronze Member
I got the idea when I first saw an older Struck dozer on ebay. It was a little pricey and I didn't care much for the look. I always liked early 1900s Caterpillar dozers and with the birth of my son, I decided to build a scale version for him to ride around on. My dad always gave me awesome stuff like powerwheels, gokarts, snowmobiles etc. So I want to do the same for my son.

I've been working on the design since probably September and actual building since December.

My design is loosely based off of this.
NOR55154.jpg

I'm not building an exact replica. I don't want to spend years building it. And the biggest exception is the use of rubber tracks. Reasons being metal would take me longer to make and it would also tear up my yard and driveway. This drawing still needs some work but it was enough to get me started and see how everything was going to fit together.
IMG_0039.jpg

I bought a mower real cheap that had Eaton hydrostatic transmissions. And another mower that had a 12.5hp B&S engine. Took everything apart a few months ago to start designing around them.
DSC06604.jpg

DSC06607.jpg

Here's the start of the build.
download.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

I have some more pictures but that is all for now.

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #2  
Your project looks very interesting, as long as you stay out of the easy chair in picture #3. Make sure the seat is large enough for you to take the crawler out for a SAFETY TEST ( hint hint).
I built a model Case 450B Crawler . I only did the under carriage with elecric drive ( scale 1" to 12" ??).
It is sitting under my bench. I bought 1/2" double pitch chain and made all the grousers.

I then moved to larger toys, 26HP Kubota.

Craig Clayton

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #3  
Welcome. I am looking foward to your build and nothing like Dad and son interaction with these kind of ''tools''. :thumbsup:. John

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #4  
Welcome!

This sounds like a very interesting build:thumbsup:

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #5  
Your son will most certainly get a kick out of it. BTW, Welcome aboard.:thumbsup:

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #7  
Great project for sure!!
[Interesting that EMD was bought awhile back by Caterpillar Co.. But I do not want to hijack whats going to be a great thread.]

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #8  
Awesome!!!!!:thumbsup:

I plan on building something similar in the future for my son.

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #9  
Awesome!!!!!:thumbsup:

I plan on building something similar in the future for my son.

Wait until he's a little older and build it WITH him. I built projects with each of my two boys. Both projects started with some rusty wheels and tires. We made as many of the components as we could. Bought almost nothing. Both turned out great (boys did too!) You'll learn a lot about your boys and have great times that you'll miss when they're grown.

They enjoyed the building far more than the actual toy. They can do a lot and learn a lot at 6 years old! My first rule was "I don't work on it unless you do!" Imagine a 6 year old rolling out of bed at 6:00 on Saturday morning with "Daddy, lets go work!

At that age they still think Dad's the smartest guy in the world. (In 10 more years you will have become the dumbest.)

You can't imagine their pride and satisfaction when it's finally done. Make sure you have somewhere to store the thing for the next 30 years. You'll never be allowed nor want to get rid of it, but they'll never have a place to put it. Maybe if I ever have some Grand kids...

We built lots of things as they got older, but there's no comparison to that first real project.

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #10  
Your project looks very interesting, as long as you stay out of the easy chair in picture #3. Make sure the seat is large enough for you to take the crawler out for a SAFETY TEST ( hint hint).
I built a model Case 450B Crawler . I only did the under carriage with elecric drive ( scale 1" to 12" ??).
It is sitting under my bench. I bought 1/2" double pitch chain and made all the grousers.

I then moved to larger toys, 26HP Kubota.

Craig Clayton

any pictures of it Chris? I love Case equipment!

Id like to build a crawler once i finish these other projects i have going on. hopefully sometime towards the end of the year i can get started