Homemade salt sand spreader from rear axle ??

/ Homemade salt sand spreader from rear axle ?? #1  

Wyld Bill

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra
Today I saw a guy towing a homemade rig behind a Kubota UTV sanding his long driveway. I didn't have time to stop in & talk to him but it looked pretty darn cool. It had a blue chemical barrel on it with salt sand in it, a rear axle under the barrel with a shaft feeding up in the barrel or something. Anyone ever seen or built something like this??

/ Homemade salt sand spreader from rear axle ?? #2  
Seems like it would be really easy to do- just bolt the rear axle to the bottom of a set of 3pt bale forks or a carry-all and when you lower it, the tires get traction and the impeller begins spinning/spreading. Though it probably wouldn't turn (steer) very well with the axle on the ground.

Last edited:
   / Homemade salt sand spreader from rear axle ?? #3  
Theres several old farmers that have made them for spreading fertilizer. I have seen a few at work. THey took a rear end and turned the pinion shaft up. THen built an upside down pyramid over the pinion shaft out of angle iron. Then bolt a round plate to the yoke on the pinion. and weld on some spreader paddles. On the bottom of the hopper they had a square gate at the bottom. Some the hopper was angle iron and had plywood bolted to them to save on metal. One I have seen had a spreader plate bolted to the pinion with a pipe attached to the top center of ot. Then it had a small 3 inch auger that came out of a combine that went up through the top.

It helped pull the materials down. THe gate on the bottom had a slot in it to go around the shaft.

/ Homemade salt sand spreader from rear axle ??
Theres several old farmers that have made them for spreading fertilizer. I have seen a few at work. THey took a rear end and turned the pinion shaft up. THen built an upside down pyramid over the pinion shaft out of angle iron. Then bolt a round plate to the yoke on the pinion. and weld on some spreader paddles. On the bottom of the hopper they had a square gate at the bottom. Some the hopper was angle iron and had plywood bolted to them to save on metal. One I have seen had a spreader plate bolted to the pinion with a pipe attached to the top center of ot. Then it had a small 3 inch auger that came out of a combine that went up through the top.

It helped pull the materials down. THe gate on the bottom had a slot in it to go around the shaft.

Hmm. .. a picture tells a thousand words for sure. :confused:

/ Homemade salt sand spreader from rear axle ?? #5  

I've seen the same type of setup for spreaders and have seen rearends with the pinion down and a blade mounted for shredding.

/ Homemade salt sand spreader from rear axle ??
I've seen the same type of setup for spreaders and have seen rearends with the pinion down and a blade mounted for shredding.

Like a bush hog?

/ Homemade salt sand spreader from rear axle ?? #7  
Today I saw a guy towing a homemade rig behind a Kubota UTV sanding his long driveway. I didn't have time to stop in & talk to him but it looked pretty darn cool. It had a blue chemical barrel on it with salt sand in it, a rear axle under the barrel with a shaft feeding up in the barrel or something. Anyone ever seen or built something like this??

Sounds like the old Lely fertiliser spreader we had 20 years and 2 spreaders ago. i dont know if it originally was horse drawn, i'd guess it would scare the crap out of the horses when somebody would throw more pellets at their behinds when they started walking faster...

/ Homemade salt sand spreader from rear axle ?? #8  
I will smile to these.
22.gif