3 point sprayer

/ 3 point sprayer #1  

Case485Guy

Gold Member
Tractor
Case 485
I am wanting to build a cheap sprayer using a 55 gallon plastic drum for the tank and basically have the "boom" same width as the tractor but spray a wider swath. I will be using to spray brush. I have searched and found some nice boom sprayers built by members here.
Do i need the pressure gauge? etc
Can it be as simple as an electric pump, pipe with spray nozzles and an on./off switch? How do you size the pump to nozzles? I can weld the tank mount /platform, but never have been around a sprayer other than the standard 2 gallon hand pump style.
Thanks

/ 3 point sprayer #2  
You should be able to find the specs on the nozzles (gallons per minutes at x psi as well as spray angle) and the pump should also have a gpm rating at x psi.

Google "ag spray nozzles" and you can see how the specs are given for the nozzles

/ 3 point sprayer #3  
Tee Jet web site should show complete schematic of design and layout, plus calculations for pump, nozzles, valves, etc

/ 3 point sprayer #4  
I am wanting to build a cheap sprayer using a 55 gallon plastic drum for the tank and basically have the "boom" same width as the tractor but spray a wider swath. I will be using to spray brush. I have searched and found some nice boom sprayers built by members here.
Do i need the pressure gauge? etc
Can it be as simple as an electric pump, pipe with spray nozzles and an on./off switch? How do you size the pump to nozzles? I can weld the tank mount /platform, but never have been around a sprayer other than the standard 2 gallon hand pump style.
Thanks

Most of the nozzles require a certain PSI, spacing, and height above the ground or brush to get the coverage/results needed for the application. A big majority of the chemicals sprayed are pretty corrosive. Size the pump to nozzles by finding the nozzles you want for the use intended, add up required GPM, and get a little bigger. If you go with a roller pump that's driven off the PTO, you'll have something with more uses than spraying brush, IMHO. I use the roller pump for my boom sprayer pump water from a tote tank, irrigating one of my garden patchs. This link will give you a bunch of good information, as well as diagrams for building what you want. TeeJet - Plumbing Diagrams Hope it helps. Mark

Attachments

• BoomSprayer004.jpg
    BoomSprayer004.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 911
  • Misc007-3.jpg
    Misc007-3.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 436
   / 3 point sprayer #5  
Do i need the pressure gauge?
Can it be as simple as an electric pump, pipe with spray nozzles and an on./off switch? How do you size the pump to nozzles?
A pressure gauge is nice so you can calibrate the system so you don't waste chemical (either by putting out too much or not enough to get the job done).

I don't think an electric pump will be the best choice... it depends on how wide of a path you want to spray and for how long of a time... they are better for smaller acreage and spot spraying. Usually they are for 25 gallon tanks and smaller but it could work for you.

How much spraying are you going to be doing? Seems you have the acreage that 55 gallons might seem small. You say you'll be spraying brush? Acre after acre? or spot spraying here and there?

Here's an example of one:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/55149-55-gallon-drum-sprayer.html

/ 3 point sprayer
A pressure gauge is nice so you can calibrate the system so you don't waste chemical (either by putting out too much or not enough to get the job done).

I don't think an electric pump will be the best choice... it depends on how wide of a path you want to spray and for how long of a time... they are better for smaller acreage and spot spraying. Usually they are for 25 gallon tanks and smaller but it could work for you.

How much spraying are you going to be doing? Seems you have the acreage that 55 gallons might seem small. You say you'll be spraying brush? Acre after acre? or spot spraying here and there?

Here's an example of one:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/55149-55-gallon-drum-sprayer.html

Thanks everyone for the info and links.

My initial intention was to spray what I have cleared and spray areas that I can drive over. Also spray fence lines. Have been reading up on all the projects and posts I can find on sprayers and starting to think 55 gallon is not enough. I have about 75 acres of natural open area that I want to be able to spray also. getting to the area you have to go through a thick wooded area and across a creek, so transport width is a concern.
I have some of the 175 gallon tote tanks, thinking that may be better to use or buy a tank. Still looking for used setups, but really thinking of building one.

/ 3 point sprayer #7  
i switched from the boom sprayer to the single spray nozzle that sprays out to each side a long time ago: just so i wouldn't have to watch out for the boom, plus, that way i can drive right against a fence, and get the weeds about 10ft on the other side: has worked great for me, can't spray when its windy: but other than that, it does a heck of a job.
heehaw