I bent some rod into hooks... Now What?

/ I bent some rod into hooks... Now What? #1  

Iplayfarmer

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1215, Case 801B
I heated these rods and bent them into hooks (pictured). Did the process of heating and bending reduce their strength? Do I need to do something to them to put the strength back into them?

Attachments

• IMG_0218.jpg
    IMG_0218.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 666
   / I bent some rod into hooks... Now What? #2  
Depends on how hot you got them. You may have annealed the material.
Do you know what the rod alloy is? Or the temper?

I, personally, would be very leery about using them to lift anything. Forged hooks aren't that expensive and are much stronger.

/ I bent some rod into hooks... Now What? #3  
Do I need to do something to them to put the strength back into them?

they really never had any strength to begin with. no reason you can't use them for convenience hooks though, keep chains out of the way or off the ground etc... without relying on them for any pulling/liftng.
btw, nice job:thumbsup:

/ I bent some rod into hooks... Now What? #4  
they really never had any strength to begin with. no reason you can't use them for convenience hooks though, keep chains out of the way or off the ground etc... without relying on them for any pulling/liftng.
btw, nice job:thumbsup:

I agree - what is your planned use for them?

/ I bent some rod into hooks... Now What?
I agree - what is your planned use for them?

These are going to be the hooks on a single tree for a small horse cart.
247848d1327352269-implement-different-kind-horsepower-img_0185.jpg

If there's anything I can to do strengthen them, I'd like to. It's not like anyone's life or limb is going to be on the line if they fail, but they are what the horse pulls against.

The rod was cold rolled steel. I heated them up pretty hot to get them to bend. They were glowing red.

/ I bent some rod into hooks... Now What? #6  
Would cold hardening them help?

/ I bent some rod into hooks... Now What? #7  
if you let them cool slowly vs quenching hot.. they are likely more ductile than when rolled.. .. a lil less 'strong' but not brittle.. etc.

probably ok for your use... I kow a blacksmith that does wrought iron work for some horse cart people. I'd bet some square and round stock got incorporated into a cart now and then.. :)

/ I bent some rod into hooks... Now What?
if you let them cool slowly vs quenching hot.. they are likely more ductile than when rolled.. .. a lil less 'strong' but not brittle.. etc.

probably ok for your use... I kow a blacksmith that does wrought iron work for some horse cart people. I'd bet some square and round stock got incorporated into a cart now and then.. :)

After I heated and bent them I let them air cool. Does that count as let them cool slowly?

/ I bent some rod into hooks... Now What? #9  
After I heated and bent them I let them air cool. Does that count as let them cool slowly?

Yes, air cooling (vs. water or oil cooling) is slower.
Considering what you're going to use the hooks for (not a high stress usage), I'd just use 'em and keep an eye on 'em...see if they start to stretch.
I thought you were going to use them on your tractor...

/ I bent some rod into hooks... Now What? #10  
The question would be, are they rated for one horsepower?