12' Steel Gate

/ 12' Steel Gate #1  

aaronr71

I need to build 2 6 ft. gates for a customer and have a few questions is anyone is willing to help out. I made the pictured gate a couple of years ago. Now i need to make two more for the space to the right of the column. The customer wants the gates to be attached to, two existing 6' brick columns. I am worried about the gates sagging and not lining up in the center. I am also concerned about the brick columns not being strong enough for anchor points. I planned on using. 7" X .75 threaded J-bolts w/ two part epoxy along with a spring loaded wheel but, still am concerned. Could also use use some hinge advise too. Last time i just made the females with .5" X 1.5" flat bar. Don't think that will cut it this time. Does anyone have any suggestions? I also attached a drawing of the new gate as well. Thx

Attachments

• Misc pics 066.jpg
    Misc pics 066.jpg
    769.2 KB · Views: 399
Last edited:
   / 12' Steel Gate #3  
I made two 8' fence gates that meet at center and line up everytime no sagging. I used the metal support gate system from Hoover Fence and I added two spring loaded air filled tires from Northern Tool to some scrap 2.5" Fence posts for handles and wheel supports. Wheels were not requested by Hoover Fence but peace of mind for me. I will go out and photo it now.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    610.9 KB · Views: 1,094
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    721.9 KB · Views: 309
   / 12' Steel Gate
Nice gate! Thanks for the tip. I'll look into that later tonight. What size are those square tubes. I was going to 2X2X1/8" for the frame. Thanks again! Have a great night.

/ 12' Steel Gate #5  
The tubes are 1.5" to fit along a 2x4 and steel cable prevents sag after initial stretch and adjustment. Self tapping screws to tubing where necessary. They do well supporting wet wood (heavy) vs dry sunny hot days. Hoover Fence has all kinds of gate types and hardware. Shipping is not bad ($) & quick.