hydraulic post driver plans?

/ hydraulic post driver plans? #1  

dhenson

Tractor
massey ferguson 281
looking to build a hydraulic post driver, hyd ram picks up a ibeam with cap and free falls on post any ideas out there.

/ hydraulic post driver plans? #2  
First I have not build one, but I did do some research on them, I first just did web searches on post pounders and down loads the manuals and brochures, and then went to Google patents, Google Patents and did some searches there, use different search words that are similar but different (such as "driver," "pounder," "weight driven" "hydraulic", patents, are some times written and titled in a cryptic manor, or it appears that is what has happened, if you find one search out the other numbers that are on that patent and some times you can find some treasures of ideas, and then just because some one patented it does not mean it is a good idea, no you will not get a measured drawing this way but you should be able to get your concepts,

one example Patent US6520268 - Post driver beams - Google Patents
and there is Link to down load in PDF format to save it,

here is the company that that has that patent, http://www.fairbrotherind.com/

I know one fellow that keep going to his farm store and measuring the one on the lot and when home and built a similar unit,

(I am guessing here, that many use a over sized hydraulic valve and may have a larger than normal fitting on the lift cylinder so that the oil can be dumped faster so it will not interfere with the "fee fall" of the weight, and may put a restrictor in the the fill side so the raising of the driver is controlled, (may depend on the amount of hydralics you have on the tractor or power pack)

also when doing a web search do a image search is some times a faster way to find things you want,

Last edited:
   / hydraulic post driver plans? #3  
and do not forget to do a site search for them on this board,

/ hydraulic post driver plans? #4  
There is a contractor in this area that uses a vibrating driver to push them in. It works pretty well and the vibrations transmit to any stones to help get them out of the way. There is no banging just a steady hummmm as the post goes in. It may be the same as a stone breaker but with a different socket to fit a post instead of a point.

/ hydraulic post driver plans?
thanks for the input on the subject. will search the for any links on these

/ hydraulic post driver plans? #7  
Here is a link to a pneumatic operated one, uses very little air to do a big job. The idea could be adapted to hydraulic I suppose if a valve that will auto reverse each stroke till you stop it is available. J-J is there one?

Fencepostdriver.com : Man Saver Post Driver : Rohrer Manufacturing

I have one and it works great, they are around $400 + depending on size and they sell direct.

Ron

Last edited: