trailer gate

/ trailer gate #1  

mechanic

Silver Member
I'm making a 4x6 gate for a trailer that is 6x8 in size. I'm looking for ideas on how to mount it to the back of the trailer. Maybe something other than welding a number of little barrels to slide a round stock through. My idea is to get some round stock and slide it through some type of tube material and bend the ends of the stock to go into a bracket welded onto the trailer. The gate will be lower to the ground to remove mowers. Any ideas ? This gate will welded to the tube material.

/ trailer gate #2  
Hey why dont you use hinges like these? Has the same type on all the tractor trailers I own, so durability should not be a problem:thumbsup:

Attachments

• hengsle.jpg
    hengsle.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 681
   / trailer gate #3  
How about using the mounts from a pickup truck tailgate? They work well and make it easy to remove the rear gate.

You can get them at any junk yard! :thumbsup:

/ trailer gate #4  

Attachments

• hinge_2.jpg
    hinge_2.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 9,609
   / trailer gate #5  
I use leaf spring hangers alot for removable hinges. Find a long wide hanger and then a short narrow hanger that will slide into the longer one, use a hitch pin or bolt through the bolt hole in the hangers, Have to radius the corners with a grinder some to allow full swivel. I just bought 2 pair for 5200 lb springs from the trailer shop here for 14.00 to use on my drag harrow. Have used them for tow bar mounts etc,removeable trailer gates among other things.

/ trailer gate #6  
If you can't or don't want to weld, I think you are best to consider ramps.
To fab a hinge system my preference would be 3 short lengths of 1/2" pipe (say 2-3" ea) welded to rear trailer frame and 2 welded to the ramp. A length of 1/2" rod would then be the hinge pin, one end bent 90 deg and a hole at the other end for a cotter pin and a washer.
You do want that pin to be a lose fit otherwise it will bind due to rust.

Sure you can use biggest hinges out there but eventually they will pull loose and probably bind up due to rust.

/ trailer gate #7