How to Identify Barrel or jugs

/ How to Identify Barrel or jugs #1  

moored4

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota l245dt, l3540, 8N
I have some blue plastic barrels/jugs, 15 gal. capacity, that I want to identify. I want to use some for diesel, gas and water. What kind of paint will stick to these and not come off and will also not weaken the plastic? Or other sugestion on how to identify them? I did a search and did not come up with anything. Thanks for the help.:)

edit
I knew what I was talking about but I did not convey it very well. SORRY. What I am wanting is a menes to identfy the barrels as to what material I have stored in them! need sugestion on how to identify them?

Thanks and again I am sorry for the confussion I started!

Last edited:
   / How to Identify Barrel or jugs #2  
"How to Identify Barrel or jugs"

Sorry, I just had to read your post to see what the heck you were trying to identify:thumbsup:
I'll go away now:ashamed::ashamed:
But I would encourage you to use the standard ID fuel colors yellow for diesel and red for gasoline, as a start.

/ How to Identify Barrel or jugs #3  
I have some blue plastic barrels/jugs, 15 gal. capacity, that I want to identify. I want to use some for diesel, gas and water. What kind of paint will stick to these and not come off and will also not weaken the plastic? Or other sugestion on how to identify them? I did a search and did not come up with anything. Thanks for the help.:)

See if they have a recycling mark on the bottom. If they are marked with HDPE or PEHD, then they are of the same material that is used to make plastic gas cans.

/ How to Identify Barrel or jugs #4  
Fuel containers are colored for a reason. Not only so you will know what is in them but so others will be able to tell. If your shop is on fire and the fire dept shows up and sees a white barrel they won't be to concerned about it. It shouldn't be flamable. They will get a big suprize when the barrel they wern't worried abot blows up because it contains gas. KEEP FUEL IN THE PROPER CONTAINERS or get the proper lables for them.
Bill

/ How to Identify Barrel or jugs
I am sorry that my OP was not clearly-stated! :eek: Even after editing it it seem not to be clear enough! :confused:

I know all about the different colors of different tanks and why they are so designated! My original question, thou ill stated was If I painted blue plastic jugs, using the proper color for the stored substance, What paint will best adhere to the outside surface of said plastic jugs or in what way to prepare the surface of the jugs so the paint will stay on permanently! Or if there was another way to permanently mark the jugs so one would know what the contents are!

I have young high school and collage men and ladies that work for me and I want them to be able to get the right jug to use for water, gas, and diesel. Thanks! :)

/ How to Identify Barrel or jugs #6  
Depending on the level of effort you want to put into the project there are a few ways to paint plastic. As you know most new cars have plastic bumpers and body panels. There is an adhesion promoter that is sprayed on prior to painting that helps paint stick to the plastic. You could find this at an auto body supply shop, as well as the paint. Bumper paint is flexible to an extent and should resist gasoline and diesel. This option would likely cost more than you paid for the jugs in the first place, however, the end result will be nice.

Your other option is to try Krylon fusion spray paint available at Wally world. I think the Krylon is the most economic way to paint the plastic jugs. A good cleaning with solvent to remove any residual dirt, grime, oil etc. will help a lot.

/ How to Identify Barrel or jugs #7  
...I have young high school and collage men and ladies that work for me and I want them to be able to get the right jug to use for water, gas, and diesel. Thanks! :)

If it was for my own use I would paint them and be done with it.

But, if you can afford to hire people, you can afford to buy purpose-made cans of the correct colors. Try to get different shapes as well as colors.

They will screw it up anyway, but at least you tried.

/ How to Identify Barrel or jugs #8  
Scuff the plastic first, and then use the krylon paint. I use that when painting the barrels for the farm train toys i make.

/ How to Identify Barrel or jugs #9  
Scuff the plastic first, and then use the krylon paint. I use that when painting the barrels for the farm train toys i make.

I'll 2nd this, used the krylon before and it seems to hold up decent.

/ How to Identify Barrel or jugs #10  
Agree with the Krylon paint. If you want to test, flip barrel over and try on bottom first to see if it'll bond.