Building a Log Arch

/ Building a Log Arch #11  
A friend of mine is parting out his Dodge Durango. I'm gettng the front wheels/tires/hub assemblies to build an arch for myself. I'm looking to build a heavy duty arch capable of 36" diameter boles and this seems like a cheap way to get started.

/ Building a Log Arch #12  
That is a very nice design and very well put together. You can see your background in the quality.

Thank you. After gathering all the parts it only took me one Sunday to build it. I got a deal on the tubing from a buddy, that is why I used it. It also helps I have a tube bender. The tubing is 1 7/8" .125 wall. If I would have used a heavier walled tubing I could have skipped that extra truss on top. I did build it without the truss and when I tested the arch (before I painted it) on a 18" diameter by 16 foot elm log I noticed the top main tube was slightly bowed. So I trussed it and now it doesn't bow at all.

/ Building a Log Arch #14  

Attachments

• becket burner 004.JPG
    becket burner 004.JPG
    338.9 KB · Views: 1,219
   / Building a Log Arch #15  
I really like this one, you did an excellant job of it.

/ Building a Log Arch #16  
When I built my log arch I went to the local auto salvage and bought a couple rear hubs off a Chevy Cavalier. They charged me $20.00 for the pair. I also pickup up 2 mini spare tires that fit the hubs. All salvage yards have plenty of mini spares and most of them look like new. Best of all they told me I could have the mini spares for free!

Very nice!

Why did you not extend the beam out the back a couple feet so you could hang a chain there to wrap the log with. Then use the leverage of the tongue to lift the log and wrap another chain up at the head end. The load would then be fully supported. I think that would be easier than cranking on that winch is a dead straight lift.

Make it look something like this:

Grasshopper - YouTube

/ Building a Log Arch #17  
Very nice!

Why did you not extend the beam out the back a couple feet so you could hang a chain there to wrap the log with. Then use the leverage of the tongue to lift the log and wrap another chain up at the head end. The load would then be fully supported. I think that would be easier than cranking on that winch is a dead straight lift.

Grasshopper - YouTube

My plan, exactly. As long as I don't have to go up or down any really steep rises. Not sure my brakes would stop me with a real heavy log.

/ Building a Log Arch #18  
Very nice!

Grasshopper - YouTube

Most logs up to 14ft it lifts it fully off the ground. There is 5ft between where the winch it mounted to the tongue. I skidded a longer log and most of the weight is off the ground and made skidding it very easy.

/ Building a Log Arch #19  
This plan is from and old Mother Earth News. A friend of mine has built one and it works very well.

Attachments

• Log-Arch2.jpg
    Log-Arch2.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 6,108
   / Building a Log Arch #20  
This plan is from and old Mother Earth News. A friend of mine has built one and it works very well.

Thats basically what mine is. I just made mine out of tubing.