Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 44
  1. #21
    Bronze Member Den1952's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    78
    Location
    Weyauwega Wi
    Tractor
    InternationalHarvestor tlh

    Default Re: Building a Log Arch

    I am still admiring that truss system you worked out. I would want that even if it werent called for. My son just acquired a log arch, seems to be a similar size to yours. not sure but guessing about 6 feet roughly from the wheels forward to the end of the log, maybe more. I made up an inverted vee for him , we will mount that on the forward end of the beam, when he winches up a log the front end can get trapped into the inverted vee, and we can strap it in place, the idea being to prevent any side swing while traveling , also to prevent any teeter tottering of shorter logs. I think we will also mount another winch up front. If he has shorter logs we would have a winch on each end of it, fully suspended. I dont seem to see any like that on the various photos I have ran across. has anybody any ideas why not to do that?

  2. #22
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    58
    Location
    central wisconsin
    Tractor
    Ford 4500 Ford 9n

    Default Re: Building a Log Arch

    Quote Originally Posted by Den1952 View Post
    I am still admiring that truss system you worked out. I would want that even if it werent called for. My son just acquired a log arch, seems to be a similar size to yours. not sure but guessing about 6 feet roughly from the wheels forward to the end of the log, maybe more. I made up an inverted vee for him , we will mount that on the forward end of the beam, when he winches up a log the front end can get trapped into the inverted vee, and we can strap it in place, the idea being to prevent any side swing while traveling , also to prevent any teeter tottering of shorter logs. I think we will also mount another winch up front. If he has shorter logs we would have a winch on each end of it, fully suspended. I dont seem to see any like that on the various photos I have ran across. has anybody any ideas why not to do that?
    I don't see a need for a second winch. I back over the logs (about 5ft) and I use a log tongs to winch the log off the ground. I then chain it at the winch and at the front of the log. Like I said it will lift the the log (up to about 14ft) off the ground. I have a picture on my phone that I'll see if I can upload. It has the arch hooked up to my 4 wheeler with 2 long logs on it.

  3. #23
    Bronze Member Den1952's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    78
    Location
    Weyauwega Wi
    Tractor
    InternationalHarvestor tlh

    Default Re: Building a Log Arch

    it would be good to see a photo of that. thanks.
    I was thinking of 2 winches for the events that he would have only 7 foot logs. backed over by 5 feet, he would only be raising the rear end I think.
    centered up, would be a teeter totter. the nose of the log could dig in while traveling, thus the inverted vee idea.
    close by, any cleaning up in the woods wouldnt have any logging trails to drive really long stuff, lots of snaking around to manuever. shorter logs would be much more convenient.

  4. #24
    Veteran Member Piston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,412
    Location
    Central MA, Lakes Region NH
    Tractor
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410

    Default Re: Building a Log Arch

    You can see how I built mine here if you want. I posted a lot of pics.
    http://www.forestryforum.com/board/i...?topic=45388.0
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410 - WR Long 64" Grapple (best attachment ever!) QA front forks, rear forks, Brown 472 HD Rotary Mower, Land Pride RBT4096 hydro blade, Woods 7200 Power Rake, homemade 3 pt log splitter, Land Pride rake/blade combo, Land Pride HRL 3578 box blade (Hydro scarifiers), Shaver SC50 3 pt. Stumpgrinder, FitRiteHydraulics TnT, 6" Vermeer PTO Chipper (Hydro feed), Disc Plow, Ratchet Rake, LP HD25 Hydraulic PHD, Woodmizer LT15 portable sawmill
    Rear Remotes Install

  5. #25
    Silver Member Arky217's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    177
    Location
    Greenwood, AR
    Tractor
    Kubota L4200

    Default Re: Building a Log Arch

    How about an extendable log arch for easy maneuverability.
    Short like this for 8-10' logs; extend for longer logs.

    I have hauled as large as 24" x 17' completely off the ground with this one.

    [IMG][/IMG]

    Arky
    Arky

  6. #26
    bcp
    bcp is online now
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,465
    Location
    SW WA
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

    Default Re: Building a Log Arch

    Quote Originally Posted by Piston View Post
    You can see how I built mine here if you want. I posted a lot of pics.
    http://www.forestryforum.com/board/i...?topic=45388.0
    Interesting thread. IIRC, you had a ball hitch and were thinking of changing to a clevis hitch.

    Instead of that, weld a hitch receiver tube in place of the coupler, then you can have interchangeable couplers.

    Bruce

  7. #27
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,885
    Location
    Monrovia, California
    Tractor
    Kubota BX25

    Default Re: Building a Log Arch

    Food for thought...

    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0XL9-jTP4E&feature=player_embedded]LogRite Junior log Arch Demo - YouTube[/ame]
    Regards,

    Artisan

    Kubota 2012 BX25 (23H.P. / 17.7pto)
    14' Dump / Carson 12K Tow Trailer w/ movable Winch,
    Canopy, Tunes, Stabilizer Soft Pads, 10"-12"BH Buckets, FEL Grapple, Fasse Valved & Switched,
    Fire Extinguisher, ChainSaw Mount, Protective Surround / Enclosure in the works.

    Stayin' Alive (This click could save a life...)

  8. #28
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    95
    Location
    Cuttingsville, VT
    Tractor
    Ford 850, Ford 1210, Ford 1700, Bobcat 742

    Default Re: Building a Log Arch

    Trovenn- after seeing all the examples posted, I think you are contemplating something much larger. I have a friend with a logging arch which I believe was commercially manufactured in the 1940s or 50s, not homemade. It is nothing more than a rugged fairlead carried on what looks like 8:00 x 20" rubber. It is comparatively short--8 ft or so- pulled behind a TD6, and uses the dozer's winch. The steel in it is 6" diam or square, and the unit must weigh half a ton. It can carry all the dozer can pull

  9. #29
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,885
    Location
    Monrovia, California
    Tractor
    Kubota BX25

    Default Re: Building a Log Arch

    Quote Originally Posted by tree grower View Post
    Trovenn- after seeing all the examples posted, I think you are contemplating something much larger. I have a friend with a logging arch which I believe was commercially manufactured in the 1940s or 50s, not homemade. It is nothing more than a rugged fairlead carried on what looks like 8:00 x 20" rubber. It is comparatively short--8 ft or so- pulled behind a TD6, and uses the dozer's winch. The steel in it is 6" diam or square, and the unit must weigh half a ton. It can carry all the dozer can pull

    PICTURES!
    Regards,

    Artisan

    Kubota 2012 BX25 (23H.P. / 17.7pto)
    14' Dump / Carson 12K Tow Trailer w/ movable Winch,
    Canopy, Tunes, Stabilizer Soft Pads, 10"-12"BH Buckets, FEL Grapple, Fasse Valved & Switched,
    Fire Extinguisher, ChainSaw Mount, Protective Surround / Enclosure in the works.

    Stayin' Alive (This click could save a life...)

  10. #30
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    58
    Tractor
    Manamade

    Default Re: Building a Log Arch

    Just a couple of Pics of logging arch

    One still in use behind what looks like a D5 and the other wth an old D4

    I suggested earlier to use duel wheels to give you a bit of flotation You could also mount a PTO winch on the arch so then you can pull the logs as well.

    Sorry havent any photos of the one that I built and used behind a tractor and skidder. It was only used behind the skidder when the logs were too big for the skidder.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Building a Log Arch-paccar-20arch-20b.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. P-model arch steel building project
    By Dirtnut in forum Projects
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 03-20-2012, 07:56 PM
  2. Building an intermediate log splitter hoist
    By NH Mike in forum Build-It Yourself
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-08-2012, 07:14 AM
  3. Building a Log Splitter with Northern Tool parts
    By LanceH in forum Build-It Yourself
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-09-2011, 09:23 PM
  4. building a arch gate
    By Regneufeld in forum Build-It Yourself
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 03-10-2011, 04:24 PM
  5. Anyone make a log arch for a Skid steer?
    By Rio_Grande in forum Build-It Yourself
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-21-2011, 09:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2013 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.