Building a Log Arch

/ Building a Log Arch #21  
I am still admiring that truss system you worked out. I would want that even if it werent called for. My son just acquired a log arch, seems to be a similar size to yours. not sure but guessing about 6 feet roughly from the wheels forward to the end of the log, maybe more. I made up an inverted vee for him , we will mount that on the forward end of the beam, when he winches up a log the front end can get trapped into the inverted vee, and we can strap it in place, the idea being to prevent any side swing while traveling , also to prevent any teeter tottering of shorter logs. I think we will also mount another winch up front. If he has shorter logs we would have a winch on each end of it, fully suspended. I dont seem to see any like that on the various photos I have ran across. has anybody any ideas why not to do that?

/ Building a Log Arch #22  
I am still admiring that truss system you worked out. I would want that even if it werent called for. My son just acquired a log arch, seems to be a similar size to yours. not sure but guessing about 6 feet roughly from the wheels forward to the end of the log, maybe more. I made up an inverted vee for him , we will mount that on the forward end of the beam, when he winches up a log the front end can get trapped into the inverted vee, and we can strap it in place, the idea being to prevent any side swing while traveling , also to prevent any teeter tottering of shorter logs. I think we will also mount another winch up front. If he has shorter logs we would have a winch on each end of it, fully suspended. I dont seem to see any like that on the various photos I have ran across. has anybody any ideas why not to do that?

I don't see a need for a second winch. I back over the logs (about 5ft) and I use a log tongs to winch the log off the ground. I then chain it at the winch and at the front of the log. Like I said it will lift the the log (up to about 14ft) off the ground. I have a picture on my phone that I'll see if I can upload. It has the arch hooked up to my 4 wheeler with 2 long logs on it.

/ Building a Log Arch #23  
it would be good to see a photo of that. thanks.
I was thinking of 2 winches for the events that he would have only 7 foot logs. backed over by 5 feet, he would only be raising the rear end I think.
centered up, would be a teeter totter. the nose of the log could dig in while traveling, thus the inverted vee idea.
close by, any cleaning up in the woods wouldnt have any logging trails to drive really long stuff, lots of snaking around to manuever. shorter logs would be much more convenient.

/ Building a Log Arch #25  
How about an extendable log arch for easy maneuverability.
Short like this for 8-10' logs; extend for longer logs.

I have hauled as large as 24" x 17' completely off the ground with this one.

5126-short-arch.jpg
[/IMG]

Arky

/ Building a Log Arch #26  
   / Building a Log Arch #27  
Food for thought...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0XL9-jTP4E&feature=player_embedded]LogRite Junior log Arch Demo - YouTube[/ame]

/ Building a Log Arch #28  
Trovenn- after seeing all the examples posted, I think you are contemplating something much larger. I have a friend with a logging arch which I believe was commercially manufactured in the 1940s or 50s, not homemade. It is nothing more than a rugged fairlead carried on what looks like 8:00 x 20" rubber. It is comparatively short--8 ft or so- pulled behind a TD6, and uses the dozer's winch. The steel in it is 6" diam or square, and the unit must weigh half a ton. It can carry all the dozer can pull

/ Building a Log Arch #29  
Trovenn- after seeing all the examples posted, I think you are contemplating something much larger. I have a friend with a logging arch which I believe was commercially manufactured in the 1940s or 50s, not homemade. It is nothing more than a rugged fairlead carried on what looks like 8:00 x 20" rubber. It is comparatively short--8 ft or so- pulled behind a TD6, and uses the dozer's winch. The steel in it is 6" diam or square, and the unit must weigh half a ton. It can carry all the dozer can pull

PICTURES!

/ Building a Log Arch #30  
Just a couple of Pics of logging arch

One still in use behind what looks like a D5 and the other wth an old D4

I suggested earlier to use duel wheels to give you a bit of flotation You could also mount a PTO winch on the arch so then you can pull the logs as well.

Sorry havent any photos of the one that I built and used behind a tractor and skidder. It was only used behind the skidder when the logs were too big for the skidder.

Attachments

• NZ Logginfg pine.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 493
  • PACCAR%20Arch%20b.JPG
    PACCAR%20Arch%20b.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,263