Building a Log Arch

/ Building a Log Arch #31  
My friend's arch looks very much like Doppelgangar's.

/ Building a Log Arch #32  
Thank you. After gathering all the parts it only took me one Sunday to build it. I got a deal on the tubing from a buddy, that is why I used it. It also helps I have a tube bender. The tubing is 1 7/8" .125 wall. If I would have used a heavier walled tubing I could have skipped that extra truss on top. I did build it without the truss and when I tested the arch (before I painted it) on a 18" diameter by 16 foot elm log I noticed the top main tube was slightly bowed. So I trussed it and now it doesn't bow at all.

Not to mention the 'cool' factor of the truss. :thumbsup:

Dean

Last edited:
   / Building a Log Arch #33  
I'm looking at Log Arch threads because of a long rang plan to build one. Since I have a rear remote I'm considering a lift mechanism using a piston/cable idea like the wings on plow trucks. Here is a illustration. A 24" piston would yield 48" of lift. Any feed back is welcome...

Dean

Attachments

• logarch.JPG
    logarch.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 462
Last edited:
   / Building a Log Arch #34  
I'm looking at Log Arch threads because of a long rang plan to build one. Since I have a rear remote I'm considering a lift mechanism using a piston/cable idea like the wings on plow trucks. Here is a illustration. A 24" piston would yield 48" of lift. Any feed back is welcome...

Dean

If you have the hydraulic remote hookup, I think it would great! If you got real handy with your log tongs you wouldn't even have to leave the seat of your tractor to hook up the log and not even stop to drop it!

/ Building a Log Arch #35  
vpd66: That's a nice looking unit and exactly what I need to try to build, less the nice welds and purty paint job, but maybe with a forward mounted electric winch. -WSJ

/ Building a Log Arch #36  
You can always go to the junk yard and get the rear axle assembly from a front wheel drive car.... Independent rear end... Like a Camry, Taurus, etc

/ Building a Log Arch #37  
You can always go to the junk yard and get the rear axle assembly from a front wheel drive car.... Independent rear end... Like a Camry, Taurus, etc

Exactly what I did when I built mine. 2 stub axles from a Plymouth Acclaim were a great fit.

Sean

/ Building a Log Arch #38  
Several VW models have an axle similar to this. It would be a good starting point, if your logs are not too big for it.

Bruce

VWaxle.jpg

/ Building a Log Arch #39  
A couple of years ago I peeled 109 hemlock and made one up for hauling the logs. Here is what mine looks like. They work good.

Jigs Required.jpg

/ Building a Log Arch #40  
The initial pics of that lightweight arch is made for a quad. It also doubles as a dump trailer when it is folded down flat and the bed put on. It does work well behind my 650 quad. I did build a larger one with the same design for my tractor back in the 70's. I do like some of the ideas of others, love the diversity.

Attachments

• P1000339.jpg
    P1000339.jpg
    996.6 KB · Views: 4,385