Building a Log Arch

/ Building a Log Arch #1  

Furu

Veteran Member
Tractor
I am looking at building a log arch as the ones I have found are lighter than I want or the shipping costs are unbelievable due to the weight. I have a few areas that skidding is not the best idea and wanted to try an arch for getting large diameter boles out.

My question is I am not certain what kind of wheel assembly is required since there is not a through axle. Does anyone know what the name of the wheel and hub assembly is to attach to a vertical mount that would not have an axle connection to the assembly on the opposite side? Think of a large upside down U of 3" diameter pipe that has each wheel mount on the bottom of the upside down U legs. Could be welded or bolted to the 3" vertical pipe leg.

/ Building a Log Arch #3  
Trailer supply shops have axle ends meant to be welded into tubes.
Would be simple enough to drill 2 holes in your 3" tubes with marching size to the axle end and simply weld them in place.

On the cheaper some front drive cars have rear axles that are bolted and could be bolted to a solid plate that you would have welded to your arch legs.

Good luck, sounds like a neat project that I have often contemplated myself.

PS; they are called SPINDLE ENDS and I saw them in the link provided by the previous poster.

Last edited:
   / Building a Log Arch #4  
Your talking about building one of these?
118801d1231874732-all-terrain-vehicle-logging-arch-002.jpg

/ Building a Log Arch #6  
I always thought a VW rear axle would be a good start when rotated 90 degrees to put the crossbeam on top.

Bruce

VW rear

/ Building a Log Arch #7  
Are you needing wheels and tyres as well?

Your winch hasa 11500 Lb pull and will be able to lift that amount.

Tyres will be looking a Duel truck tyres.

What you want is the back axle out of a truck. You may be able to find a trailer hub set as well. larger road going truck ot trailer may be an over kill but the cheepest over all option.

You say you are thinking of using 3 inch pipe.

To me I would build the arch with the Axle complete and only cut the middle out on completion as this will keep the wheels in line while welding.

/ Building a Log Arch #8  
I think you're looking for a couple of these. Build your arch and weld a stub on either side.

Attachments

• 2080075.jpg
    2080075.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 1,013
   / Building a Log Arch #9  
When I built my log arch I went to the local auto salvage and bought a couple rear hubs off a Chevy Cavalier. They charged me $20.00 for the pair. I also pickup up 2 mini spare tires that fit the hubs. All salvage yards have plenty of mini spares and most of them look like new. Best of all they told me I could have the mini spares for free!

Attachments

• becket burner 004.JPG
    becket burner 004.JPG
    338.9 KB · Views: 9,099
   / Building a Log Arch
When I built my log arch I went to the local auto salvage and bought a couple rear hubs off a Chevy Cavalier. They charged me $20.00 for the pair. I also pickup up 2 mini spare tires that fit the hubs. All salvage yards have plenty of mini spares and most of them look like new. Best of all they told me I could have the mini spares for free!

That is a very nice design and very well put together. You can see your background in the quality.