homemade tracked hi lift/backhoe

/ homemade tracked hi lift/backhoe #1  

jjinks

Just some thing I always wanted. A friend told me I can't build tracks so I am building a machine and tracks.

Attachments

• WP_000105.jpg
    WP_000105.jpg
    712.7 KB · Views: 3,911
  • WP_000092.jpg
    WP_000092.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 4,171
Last edited:
   / homemade tracked hi lift/backhoe #2  
It will be interesting to see this develop. Please keep the pictures coming.
A. Metcalf

/ homemade tracked hi lift/backhoe #3  
A friend told me I can't build tracks so I am building a machine and tracks.

Wow, that's what happened when a friend said you couldn't ?, Wow.

Hmmm,,,,,, "YOU CAN'T FINISH THIS PROJECT" thumbsup!

/ homemade tracked hi lift/backhoe #4  
By all means keep the pictures coming

/ homemade tracked hi lift/backhoe #5  
Looks interesting, are you working off a set of plans you've drawn up yourself or researched for the lift/backhoe?

/ homemade tracked hi lift/backhoe
I have looked at a bunch of different construction equipment over the years and kind of came up with my own plan. I will have steel tracks around 20' or so in length each made of 54 1/4"/12" dirt plates. I used 3/4"pipe and rod for hinge points. Then I will bolt on c channel grousers or rubber pads. I figure on using steel wheels as rollers/idlers and drive wheels with steel bar welded on as teeth to drive the tracks. To turn the drive wheels i will use a hydraulic motor with built in break (try to get by w/o a finaldrive) a variable Displacement piston pump and i was thinking of using a old 4 Cly 65Hp engine out of a old bobcat.

/ homemade tracked hi lift/backhoe #7  
Have you set a timetable for yourself or do you want to just play at it when you have the time? Very ambitious, good luck!

/ homemade tracked hi lift/backhoe
I try to work on it a hour or so every day mostly limited by funds. I have about $600 in steel and accessories per track. I figure there will be about $3200 in steel total. That includes my extendable backhoe and hi lift loader.
Then $800 in wheel motors $1600in valves the double pump will be at least a grand then my cylinders. Still cheaper than any used equipment around here.
If this works out will be very useful and easy to transport i estimate the weight to be around 7000 Lb or so with around 45 hp at each drive wheel and top speed of around 12-16 mph max. Hope it will clear small trees and move some dirt. The finished track setup will be similar to a d series cat.

/ homemade tracked hi lift/backhoe #9  
Can we get some close ups of the track design and build? I am collecting material right now with the hope to get started when the temps rise abit. I dislike cold steel, the old it sticks to skin.

/ homemade tracked hi lift/backhoe #10  
A friend told me I can't build tracks....

The world is full of folks who tell you that you can't do something.
They are really just projecting their own lack of ability and/or motivation.

I'd like to see your details on the tracks, too. You go, JJ!