Gopher plow

/ Gopher plow #1  

jwmorris

Veteran Member
For years my father has been killing gophers with a modified pry bar and cups of poison, baiting tunnels a few hours at a time as he felt like it. We just finished a machine that baited the problem spots over 32 acres in under two hours.

I had the 3 point hook up leftover from another project that connected a Land pride blade to a mini x. The rest of the frame was made from 3/8 plate 8 wide. The arms for the culter blade and trailing arm are 3/8 x 4 (3/8 x 8 cut in half). The wheel is made from a section of 12 x ½" pipe. The dropper assembly is 1.5 heavy wall pipe bored around 1.030 all the way through and 1.25 on either end to take oil light bushings for the shaft. The shaft itself is 1 stainless steel with a 5/8 hole ½" deep to drop the proper amount down the ¾" box tube into the tunnel created by the bottom section of bar stock.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Last edited:
   / Gopher plow #2  
Nice setup!

Not quite as entertaining as shooting them but probably more efficient

/ Gopher plow
The critters in east TX don't spent time above ground, just mound dirt. Wouldn't need this contraption if they were like parie dogs.

/ Gopher plow #4  
The critters in east TX don't spent time above ground, just mound dirt. Wouldn't need this contraption if they were like parie dogs.

We have pocket gophers around here. I see the dirt mounds and use one of those Home Depot applicators to put poison bait in the tunnels. But I've never seen one of those little farts above ground :cool:.

/ Gopher plow #6  
We have a local company up here that has some of those... I think he makes them.

His business is pocket gophers.

Some Neighbours bought shares into one.

from what I have heard, the poisoned bait doesn't work well. I think it is due to the Gov't restricting the amount of strychnine that one can impregnate with.

I wish you luck. I bale for a guy who has alfalfa, and they are a scourge.

/ Gopher plow
We plowed back in Febuary and there was only one spot where they came back. A store in Emory TX started copying the same machine I did and has/had them for a fair price, Hooten's is the name and their number is 903-473-8788.

/ Gopher plow #8  
We plowed back in Febuary and there was only one spot where they came back. A store in Emory TX started copying the same machine I did and has/had them for a fair price, Hooten's is the name and their number is 903-473-8788.

Thank you very much, I know where that is. I live in oklahoma , But My Grandfather was born in Emory Tx. And buy the way that Machine is awesome. They have a bait that will kill them almost instantly where they were where they ate it. It even suggests you can dig them up and disspose of them if you like. Meaning they will be lying dead right where they took the bait. I bought this poison at ATTWOODS. Its poisoned milo, But its not strychnine. Its potassioum something. And on the directions it says use rubber gloves when you remove them. So Im thinking it kills them on the spot. Ill not be digging the little tramps up though. Ill leave them as a reminder to knewcommers.

/ Gopher plow
What ever my Dad used seemed to work quite well he has only had to go back over one area since the original area, where they have come from across the road again.

/ Gopher plow #10  
What ever my Dad used seemed to work quite well he has only had to go back over one area since the original area, where they have come from across the road again.
And they do come across roads, I know most people say they dont come above ground but I have ran over them on my dirt road at night, At first I thought it was a rat, But when I got out and looked it was a gopher, Just like the ones i have trapped. I believe the strychnine is great stuff. This new one I have is zinc phosphate or oxide or something like that. I was mistaken when I told you potassium. It contains zinc. Great job on the plow man. And thanks again for the info.