Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bronze Member

Default Re: how to build a corn planter

We got some of the old type one row planters that we pull behind the ATV. You can usually pick them up cheap all of ours was donated and we just had to fix one gear in it we have 3 now they work great for corn and beans.
    the health is the best fortune!

Tractor
    Kubota L3130HST & NH TC18

Quote Originally Posted by rootfabrication View Post
    I'm not 100% sold on making one. But for what I'm doing I think it can be done. Biggest hurdle that I see is making it drop one seed at a time. I've looked at the ones you push by hand and that kind of chain drive I think will work. I have a few more places to try and buy an old one, but so far haven't seen one for a decent price. Please keep the ideas coming.
    Where are you? This morning I saw on Kijiji Windsor (Ontario) 71 planter units for $100 each.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    3550 Fard Backhoe and a 1948 Farmall Cub,

My Covington will drop 3 smaller sweetcorn seeds at on time. THey all fit in in the pocket on the plate. Which isnt a bad thing the travel of the tractor will space them a few inches the nthe next set drops. Corn really like to be planted in 3's. They seem to pollinate better.

Tractor
    ford 1920

I'm about 50 miles south of buffalo ny. I have a few I'm going to check out this weekend if they turn out to be spendy or junk I may still be thinking about building one. The hardest part to me is having it pick up a seed (or 3 I guess) and drop it without having binding issues or problems. The only thing that really bothers me about building one is if it is a pain to keep it working.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    3550 Fard Backhoe and a 1948 Farmall Cub,

Are there any close scrap yards you can look in. Good units can be found there to. Saddly tons of them have been scrapped here.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    several kinds and sizes

As with any machine yes there will be work every time you use the things!(sometimes lots)---get old 4 row cut the outer ends off and ya gots yo 2-row center complete with drive gears/chains/etc.!---I have 3 of them as of now!---all made by me!

I built my 3 point mounted 2 row sweetcorn planter in about 1 afternoon. I use a 12 row for my field corn, but wanted a small one for sweet corn. Found an IH planter for parts and bought the units (IIRC, they're Model 295 units) for $75 each. I mounted them to a piece of Deere tool bar I had, had the 3 point brackets from an 8 row cultivator I scrapped out. Put it all together and it's done. If you build one, make sure you get the row units that drive from the closing wheels. Most planters have a separate drive wheel that drives several row units.
    As someone above posted, you might be further ahead to buy an older 4 row. My brother-in-law bought an older Deere 495 4 row for $300. Might be more plentiful in your area.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12