compact tractor

/ compact tractor #1  

farmboy1950

I would like to have a compact tractor but don't have the money. I just found an old jd 300 garden tractor thats missing the engine and was wondering if it would work to extend the frame and beef it up a little and put a 25 hp. kholer in it. But would that be to much hp power for the drive train and the transmission. It originaly had a 16hp. kholer in it.

/ compact tractor #2  
Farmboy, that sounds like a lot of work to me, but if you have the tools, time and inclination it might work.
There are a lot of mid 70s compact diesel tractors out there that are in great shape. I purchsed a Bolens G-152 about 7 years ago for $2,000 and sold it last year for $1,700. Not bad for a 25 year old tractor. Only sold it as I wanted a FEL and 4WD. Might consider a good used one...

/ compact tractor #3  
I picked up my Diesel MF135 for 500 bucks. It suffered a block heater cord fire. I replaces rad hoses, Power steering hoses, filters. Rewired it and added an old alternator. I spent 1,000 bucks. That was 4 years ago and it works well for a 45 year old tractor. $1500 well spent. 42 HP 4,000 lbs with loaded tires. No garden tractor here.

/ compact tractor #4  
A Ford 2,8, or 9N can be had all day for $1500
A chunk of change yes, but you get a lot for that and it's easy to fix and keep running.

/ compact tractor #5  
Yes, you can get a good old tractor or a compact Diesel from the 70's-80's for a reasonable price. I am a former Yanmar owner, very reliable little tractor. Only sold it to get something with a bucket. :)