Stand for Post Hole Digger made from Pipe

/ Stand for Post Hole Digger made from Pipe #1  

DocHeb

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40D Supersteer
I needed a way to get my Danuser F8 post hole digger on and off my tractor. I've seen some welded racks on this forum, but being welder challenged, I need another way. Attached is a photo of the 1" black-pipe rack I made to hold the digger, and help position it for getting it back on the tractor. The casters, pipe and adapters were $100 at the local Home Depot.

Attachments

• 261831-P4300004a.JPG
    261831-P4300004a.JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 2,938
   / Stand for Post Hole Digger made from Pipe
Here is a side view showing the top of the stand.

Attachments

• 261833-P4300005a.JPG
    261833-P4300005a.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 1,534
   / Stand for Post Hole Digger made from Pipe #3  
DocHeb, I like the idea but I am concerned about two things. I think it needs some cross bracing (from the bottom of one side to the top of the other side) on three sides. I can't tell how you have those flanges attached to the wood base. If there are just wood screws or lag bolts going into the wood I would take them out one by one and replace them with a machine screw with a fender washer and a nut on the underside. It does look very nice and it is a much better solution than my PHD being strapped up to a tree.

/ Stand for Post Hole Digger made from Pipe #4  
By the way I forgot to mention that I have a tendency to do things better than they need to be. Your design, as it is may be fine, hopefully some others will jump in here with their opinions.

/ Stand for Post Hole Digger made from Pipe #5  
Nice idea Doc, if you ever do get around to welding all of us inventors are going to be in trouble. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Stand for Post Hole Digger made from Pipe #6  
Hi Doc,
Just wondering if all the hieght is necessary. Would you still be able to mount it easily if the auger was resting on the base?

I have a 21" extension on order. I bought the PHD to dig holes for a walkway across a marshy area, and the solid soil is about 50" below the surface. I decided to make it taller so it will hold the auger and the extension. The Danuser augers are pretty heavy duty, and I'd like to keep the on/off cycle to a minimum.

/ Stand for Post Hole Digger made from Pipe #8  
Thanks for sharing the pic. Jush got my Bushog PHD a couple of weeks ago and was thinking of putting together a stand (I too am welding challenged). Seeing yours has helped point me in the direction I want to go.
Indiana Paul

Thanks for the suggestion, cross bracing would be a good idea. I thought about putting some "T"s for cross members near the top of the uprights, but then I would need to put unions in the middle of the cross-members, and that added additional complexity to the assembly. After I put it together, I use my weight to torque on the frame and I couldn't get any movement. If there is too much movement in the future, I'll have to think of some cross-bracing method.