Veteran Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC40D Supersteer

Default Stand for Post Hole Digger made from Pipe

I needed a way to get my Danuser F8 post hole digger on and off my tractor. I've seen some welded racks on this forum, but being welder challenged, I need another way. Attached is a photo of the 1" black-pipe rack I made to hold the digger, and help position it for getting it back on the tractor. The casters, pipe and adapters were $100 at the local Home Depot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Veteran Member
    Tractor

Default Re: Stand for Post Hole Digger made from Pipe

Here is a side view showing the top of the stand.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    NH TC33D w/R4 Tires, Rear Remote, Hydraulic Toplink, 2 Auxiliary Work Lights, 7308 Loader w/Kasco Uni-Hitch (Quick Tach)

DocHeb, I like the idea but I am concerned about two things. I think it needs some cross bracing (from the bottom of one side to the top of the other side) on three sides. I can't tell how you have those flanges attached to the wood base. If there are just wood screws or lag bolts going into the wood I would take them out one by one and replace them with a machine screw with a fender washer and a nut on the underside. It does look very nice and it is a much better solution than my PHD being strapped up to a tree.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    NH TC33D w/R4 Tires, Rear Remote, Hydraulic Toplink, 2 Auxiliary Work Lights, 7308 Loader w/Kasco Uni-Hitch (Quick Tach)

By the way I forgot to mention that I have a tendency to do things better than they need to be. Your design, as it is may be fine, hopefully some others will jump in here with their opinions.

Tractor
    JCB165HF

Nice idea Doc, if you ever do get around to welding all of us inventors are going to be in trouble. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Tractor
    Kubota b7500hst

Hi Doc,
    Just wondering if all the hieght is necessary. Would you still be able to mount it easily if the auger was resting on the base?

Veteran Member
    Tractor

I have a 21" extension on order. I bought the PHD to dig holes for a walkway across a marshy area, and the solid soil is about 50" below the surface. I decided to make it taller so it will hold the auger and the extension. The Danuser augers are pretty heavy duty, and I'd like to keep the on/off cycle to a minimum.

Tractor
    NH TC45D

Thanks for sharing the pic. Jush got my Bushog PHD a couple of weeks ago and was thinking of putting together a stand (I too am welding challenged). Seeing yours has helped point me in the direction I want to go.
    Indiana Paul

Veteran Member
    Tractor

Thanks for the suggestion, cross bracing would be a good idea. I thought about putting some "T"s for cross members near the top of the uprights, but then I would need to put unions in the middle of the cross-members, and that added additional complexity to the assembly. After I put it together, I use my weight to torque on the frame and I couldn't get any movement. If there is too much movement in the future, I'll have to think of some cross-bracing method.