Powder Coating question

/ Powder Coating question #1  

Furu

Veteran Member
Tractor
I am fabricating a couple of relatively small parts for the tractor and am debating on trying to use powder coating instead of enamel paint.

Just how hard is it to powder coat?
Can a conventional oven be used to cure it without smelling up the whole house or is that a very bad idea?
Any toxic off-gassing during the cure?

/ Powder Coating question #2  
I have a Chicago Electric powder coat system. It is very easy to use and you get good results. I have used an oven to cure. It was an old oven. It does off gas a bit and probably not advisable to PO your spouse. Not sure if any toxic stuff comes out.

If you can get an old oven and do it outside in the garage you'd be better off.

Are they small enough to fit in a small toaster oven?

/ Powder Coating question #3  
I have not powder coated anything myself yet but have been Reading about the process. I have seen this question asked a few times and the answer is always the same. Never use an oven that you intend to cook food in again. Buy an old oven or maybe get one for free from Craigslist or an appliance store (trade in). Use it in your shop or outside. If small parts use an old toaster oven.

/ Powder Coating question
Are they small enough to fit in a small toaster oven?

Not small enough for a toaster oven.
Do you have to leave the side that it sits/lies in the oven on bare for the first cure and then re-coat that side for a second cure? I would think the surface finish would mar/cure into the oven rack if the down side was coated.

/ Powder Coating question #6  
Any place that touches the powder before it is cured will be marked. It's better to hang the part by hooking it in an area where a mark wouldn't matter.

/ Powder Coating question #7  
Not small enough for a toaster oven.
Do you have to leave the side that it sits/lies in the oven on bare for the first cure and then re-coat that side for a second cure? I would think the surface finish would mar/cure into the oven rack if the down side was coated.

Best would be to hang the parts with a small bailing wire as metnioned above. Might be able to fasten your part to the top rack before you spray on the powder, then insert into the oven carefully and bake it.

Just for kicks here is my plumbing truck with powdercoated frame. The whole black frame portion including top racks, front baskets, floor, frame and lift gate with hydraulics removed was baked in one piece. Everything that is black in other words and this was done in 2003. Sure has been better than paint with almost zero maintenance. Took a kingsize oven for this project. Worked well inough compared to painting that I then powdercoated my other two red service trucks, while they have signs of wear after 7 years it has been more durable than paint by a large margin.

/ Powder Coating question #8  
You can 'reverse" power coat. Meaning heat the parts first to about 375 to 400* F no more than 400! ( with a weed burner for big parts or plumbers propane torch for small parts (use an IR temperature gun to measure temp) then spray on the power coating, it melts instantly upon contact with the hot metal.

I did that process to coat my entire landscape rake project build and it came out fantastic.

Be VERY careful not to create sparks from the static of the power coat gun (Don't get to close to the metal with the gun) with this "reverse" process, the hot melting power gives off toxic FLAMABLE fumes that ignite instantly with a spark - (Don't ask me how I know this) You see my avatar on the left, right?

Larry

Attachments

• Boom5.jpg
    Boom5.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 190
  • Boom6.jpg
    Boom6.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 178
  • Boom9.jpg
    Boom9.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 190
  • Boom8.jpg
    Boom8.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 166
  • Boom1.jpg
    Boom1.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 162
  • Boom3.jpg
    Boom3.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 176
  • Boom4.jpg
    Boom4.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 162
  • Boom13.jpg
    Boom13.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 181
  • Boom18.jpg
    Boom18.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 197
  • Boom7.jpg
    Boom7.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 200
   / Powder Coating question #9  
Steve:

Those are some trucks you have there with all the cabinet storage.

Larry:

Welcome back...long time, no see.

/ Powder Coating question #10  
I use the preheat first then cure in the Craigslist oven trick. i customized one of the racks to hold parts. I spray then slide the whole rack back in