inspection pit

/ inspection pit #1  

enterprisebbc

Silver Member
Tractor
2008 CK35 Kioti
Has anyone built a pit in a garage, or car port floor? There is a British fibreglass pre made one to lower in the ground, or I could build one. I have even thought of using a ceptic tank and lower it into the ground with a ladder and rail for a seat on the inside. Or large ramps with or alone with the aformentioned. Any ideas?

/ inspection pit #2  
Before lifts were available, pits used to be really common.

Lots of people fell into them when a car wasn't over the pit.

Bruce

/ inspection pit #3  
We have one at work. We built it out of formed concrete with concrete steps. If I had to do it again I would get a pool contractor to do it.
I think it would be less dollars. We put a 4x4 angle iron along the edge.
We have a rolling oil pan for oil changes. The pit is great for inspections and oil
Changes, but limited in other areas ie a transmission jack won't work.

We have painted the edges safety yellow and have a chain with removable post.
Falling in is a big risk. More likely a visitor than those around it daily.
Some have butterfly doors and some have rolling hatches.

It takes up a whole bay and unless you do a lot of oil changes, probably not ideal.

The money spent on a pit could almost equal a full lift and less lost floor space.

South of the border they use exterior drive up ramps that are about 4 feet tall and each ramp is about 2 feet wide with a space in between.(there probably some in the US, but not as visible) easier to built off a hill side.

/ inspection pit #4  
The pit MUST HAVE a fresh air source, along with lighting and emergency access.
The smarter the idea is in thought, sometimes the dumber pursue it without caution!

JW5875

/ inspection pit #5  
We have one at work also, concrete steps, safety ropes, rolling drain pan and mega lighting. Very neat setup.

No fresh air.

/ inspection pit #6  
We used to run the car over a ditch, pull the hand brake and go to work. Sucked in rainy weather tho. Good for minor repair only. Today's cars are super low... won't even clear standard ramp. Getting harder to do your own work.

/ inspection pit #7  
If it were me, I'd get a lift before a pit any day. Do you have the height clearance for a lift?

4Shorts in Newfoundland used to have a pit in one of his garages, and he filled it in last year.

/ inspection pit #8  
I used to rent a house with a pit in the garage.

It was frequently flooded with several inches of water, and unless it is very long, it is possible to drive a car over it blocking all ways to get out. You do not want one like this.

/ inspection pit #9  
If it were me, I'd get a lift before a pit any day. Do you have the height clearance for a lift?

4Shorts in Newfoundland used to have a pit in one of his garages, and he filled it in last year.

You are absolutely right my friend. I filled it in after having it for 20 years. It was in one of my shops that wasn't used anymore for maintainnance but to tell the truth it was just a death trap and very dangerous.
Pits are nothing more than a hole in the floor and you have to realize that gasses collect in them and can cause a fire and or an explosion while your working in them. Don't ask me how I know this :(
The fact is that pits have become so dangerous that Occupational Health & Safety here put a ban on them and if you have one you must fill it in.

25 years ago I worked in an area where the company had pits throughout there full area. They were used to service 150 ton haulage trucks and even back then they were ordered to fill them in.

I can only imagine what an insurance companies policy would be on them as well. Just something to ponder. :eek:

/ inspection pit #10  
I also worked in a building that had a pit. It was only about 66" deep with steps on one end, and it was always dry. It was nice for tractors, but other vehicles were usually a pain. Unlike many; however it was built with an extra lip about an 1-1/2" deep. This allowed us to use 2x10's as a cover when it wasn't being used. It actually was covered about 99% of the time and didn't get used very much.