campbell hausfeld 60 gallon air compressor

/ campbell hausfeld 60 gallon air compressor #1  

mechanic

Silver Member
You guys that bought a 60 gallon compressor did you leave on the pallet or bolt it to the floor? I'm a little leery about taking it off the pallet due the weight and maybe tipping over trying to get off the pallet. The VT 6275 manuel says to bolt it to the floor or it voids the warranty? The air compressors I've had before I left them on the pallet with no problems, this was for a number of years.

/ campbell hausfeld 60 gallon air compressor #2  
i have an upright 60 gallon IR, got one of those hard rubber mats from Tractor Supply drilled throught it, used the small metal plates that come with the compressor install kit, and bolted it into the concrete floor. it worked out great - the mat helps to seperate the area and keeps it from vibration.

/ campbell hausfeld 60 gallon air compressor #3  
ive uncrated and set quite a few compressors over the years, and ive always un-palleted them and attached them to the floor.

1. I use rubber mats to dampen vibration.
2. you can walk the compressor off pallet very easily. mine was a 80 gal unit and i did it without any help. I place a board 1/2 as thick as the pallet next to the pallet and walk the tank onto this, then i remove pallet and walk it off onto the concrete floor.
3. the bolting is a safety issue. there are pics and reports of exploding compressor tanks shooting out the roof of buildings when a weld failed or tank rusted thru.

/ campbell hausfeld 60 gallon air compressor #4  
I don't like the floor or pallet option, get some machine mounts or other cheaper alternative to help isolate the vibrations, it'll make the compressor quieter and last longer. I used some of the pallet lumber and made a little bit smaller frame. Drilled a few (6 or 8) big blind holes with a fostner bit in the bottom of the frame to hold tennis balls in place. Been about 4 years and the tennis balls are still holding fine. They're a little soft so I anchored to a nearby stud with a piece or wire or rope, but you're supposed to do that anyway. The vibration is significantly reduced.

/ campbell hausfeld 60 gallon air compressor #5  
My 80 gal. I bolted it to the slab.

/ campbell hausfeld 60 gallon air compressor #6  
I had a IR that I left on the pallet. Workedfor years before I sold it. You should do something to prevent tip over. After I get a shop built at our property I will wind up getting another. This time I will have a section of the floor poured 6" higher with anchor bolts set into concrete. I like the idea of putting a mat under it to reduce vibration. Securing it properly is a good idea.

/ campbell hausfeld 60 gallon air compressor #7  
When I bought a 60 gallon Puma from a place that built and sold nothing but air-compressors and accessories, the dealer recommended leaving it on the pallet, which I did, and it never moved at all.

/ campbell hausfeld 60 gallon air compressor #8  
Have a 60 gallon iron horse and it has been on the palette for 2 yrs no problem

It also allows me to pull it out for servicing (oil/belt)

/ campbell hausfeld 60 gallon air compressor #9  
I took 3 hockey pucks, drilled a 3/8" hole through them, then hogged out the back with a 1" spade bit to accomodate a bolt head and washer. Bolted em to the feet of the compressor. Cuts the vibration and keeps it from walking, but it's still easy enough to move if necessary (vs having a pallet bolted to it)

/ campbell hausfeld 60 gallon air compressor #10  
I have an 80 gallon Husky (Home Depot Brand made by Campbell Hausfeld). I used my tractor loader to lift it off the cheap shipping pallet it came on and lagged it to the heavy duty pallet my old 60 gallon compressor sat on for 20 plus years. Neither the old or the new compressor have moved an inch.