Exhaust Removal System

/ Exhaust Removal System #1  

glkingar

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland TC33D
Has anyone built an exhaust removal system?

My tractor and vehicles are in a garage that doesn't have great ventilation. There is a window in one end and the rollup door on the other. Would like something that would go over the end of the exhaust and take the exhaust out of the building. Have looked at the commercially available products but they are prohibitly expensive. Thought with all of the talented people on this forum there may be someone who has set one of these.

Thanks

Gerry

/ Exhaust Removal System #2  
I just cut a hole up high on the back wall of my tractor shed and put a exhaust fan in , turn it on with a switch works pretty well

/ Exhaust Removal System #3  
Poor man's exhaust vent:
Get a used squirrel cage fan from and old furnace unit, cut hole in wall and mount it. Use flexible exhaust tubing from local auto parts store. Mount the flex pipe to the fan using a short piece of exhaust tube welded to a plate with hole cut in it. For easy storage up in ceiling or against the wall get 1 or 2 retractable/reel typ trouble lights, cut the light off throw it away, fasten the cord to the pipe with muffler clamp.
Even if the fan is 240 volt, you can wire it up 120 volt and still move enough air to suck exhaust out through a 2 or 2 1/2" pipe.

/ Exhaust Removal System #4  
My garage has vinal siding and i put in a dryer vent and then hooked a piece of dryer exhaust vent to it. Put the vent tube over the exhaust and problem solved cheaply. Had tractors running for hours in cold weather that way with no exhaust problems in the garage and vent tube doesn't get warm either. Just my solution .. . John

/ Exhaust Removal System #5  
Yes, as jpm1 said, flexible metal dryer vent hose is perfect for this problem.

Of course, gas stations have used exhaust hoses made of rubber for decades.

Sure a fan works, ..eventually. But, it still smells like diesel exhaust in the building. Which is not particularly healthy or enjoyable, especially in the early morning hours.

New replacement car and truck bumpers often come in a very long, heavy plastic "body bag". I sometimes cable tie one of those to the exhaust pipe of a diesel pick I need to move, and throw the rest of the bag in the bed of the truck.

It is amazing how slowly the bag fills, (several minutes really does not inflate it much). There is more than enough time to start the truck, and drive it through the shop, or out the back of the building, odor free. :laughing:

/ Exhaust Removal System #6  
I helped put in a system in a new auto repair building, an number of years ago,

he used a blower fan similar to what is used for saw dust collection, (they pull a vacuum) and how this system worked was they lay ed a pipe in the concrete floor with Tees in it ever 15 or so feet, (bays), and on both sides of the shop, (one could easly go over head as well),
the pipe was piped into the fan and the fan was ducted out side, then they made covers for the Tees not in use and then they had a fitting that went in the 4 in or 3in pipe that had the flexible hose on it, I think they had a relay so the fan could be turned on by remote switches near ever other bay, or so, to my under standing it works well,
the heart of the system is the high pressure blower that is being used,

/ Exhaust Removal System
Thanks for all of great ideas. I knew I came to the right place.

/ Exhaust Removal System #8  
My garage has vinal siding and i put in a dryer vent and then hooked a piece of dryer exhaust vent to it. Put the vent tube over the exhaust and problem solved cheaply. Had tractors running for hours in cold weather that way with no exhaust problems in the garage and vent tube doesn't get warm either. Just my solution .. . John

:thumbsup: same thing I did, cheap and works great

/ Exhaust Removal System #9  
Poor man's exhaust vent:
Get a used squirrel cage fan from and old furnace unit, cut hole in wall and mount it. Use flexible exhaust tubing from local auto parts store. Mount the flex pipe to the fan using a short piece of exhaust tube welded to a plate with hole cut in it. For easy storage up in ceiling or against the wall get 1 or 2 retractable/reel typ trouble lights, cut the light off throw it away, fasten the cord to the pipe with muffler clamp.
Even if the fan is 240 volt, you can wire it up 120 volt and still move enough air to suck exhaust out through a 2 or 2 1/2" pipe.

+1
just dont get too large of one or you could overheat the blower motor with poor air flow over motor.

/ Exhaust Removal System #10  
My dust collection system does double duty as an exhaust for vehicles.
Works excelent.
Check Grizzly Woodworking tools.