Corn row cultivator mounting positions ideas needed.

/ Corn row cultivator mounting positions ideas needed. #1  

jimgerken

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 3720
As a farm kid, I used to cultivate corn with a rotary 3-point mounted cultivator behind a IH 656. Pretty ugly at times. If it goes a bit off-row, you have to correct and that means swinging the 3-point implement further off-row for a time (your error is magnifyed when you correct course). I hated that job. I have seen little mounted cultivators on the sides of small red tractors, and sure wish I could build up something that could work on my JD 3720. Its wide-front of course. And my corn field is pretty small these days, maybe 1/4 acre. I plant with a 2-row 3-point planter built of two JD 71 units on a toolbar, 30 inch spacing. I could use the tractor's loader mount arms to hang something on, each side. But underneith would not be as easy.
What if it was a pull-type implement? If it used the drawbar there would be less of that magnifying effect when you go off-row. It seems that some combination of wheelbase and drawbar length and sweep position could make it a better-tracking setup than the 3-point. Any input here? Ideas, other experience? Thanks.

/ Corn row cultivator mounting positions ideas needed. #2  

Last edited:
   / Corn row cultivator mounting positions ideas needed. #3  
Are you against using chemical weed control or is there a different reason your wanting to use a cultivator still?

/ Corn row cultivator mounting positions ideas needed. #4  
As a farm kid, I used to cultivate corn with a rotary 3-point mounted cultivator behind a IH 656. ... If it goes a bit off-row, you have to correct and that means swinging the 3-point implement further off-row for a time (your error is magnifyed when you correct course).
... I have seen little mounted cultivators on the sides of small red tractors, and sure wish I could build up something that could work on my JD 3720. ... maybe 1/4 acre. ... 30 inch spacing. I could use the tractor's loader mount arms to hang something on, each side. But underneith would not be as easy.
What if it was a pull-type implement? If it used the drawbar there would be less of that magnifying effect when you go off-row. It seems that some combination of wheelbase and drawbar length and sweep position could make it a better-tracking setup than the 3-point. Any input here? Ideas, other experience? Thanks.

By pull type, do you mean something like a trailer axle, with the sweeps mounted off a crossbar mounted somewhere between that axle and the
hitch? Maybe a lift cylinder running off your remotes? Sounds like it would work, but I'd worry about it tracking right once the sweeps engaged if they hit a rock, larger weed, or harder patch of dirt, depending on how light you made it. Though if it was heavy enough a set-up, that likely wouldn't matter. Also, you might need more room to turn around at each end of the row to be able to get the "trailer" to fall in line with the direction of travel before starting each pass.

A couple of other ideas, how about mounting a crossbar to mount your sweeps off you front bumper? It would at least be easier to set up and adjust the center sweeps that way. I just don't know how having two sets of tire tracks pass over your just-cultivated section would mess it up, though.

How much old farm equipment is around you, might it be easier to find an old tractor already set up with the midmount cultivators? Like a Farmall Cub or an Allis B or G?

Might get old fast for a 1/4 acre, but how about getting an old two-wheel walk-behind tractor, like a David Bradley or Planet Jr. and cultivating one row at a time? I worked for one old timer that used a hand cultivator tied behind a lawn tractor! (with two people, and the deck removed). Though that was just for the first pass so he could get real close once his cukes sprouted; when they were well established he switched to a D-14.

/ Corn row cultivator mounting positions ideas needed.
Thanks for the input so far. To answer the questions:
Yes, would like to mimimize the checmical application. Also, sweetcorn benefits from the aireation of the soil due to cultivation, and cultivation also helps to brace it for wind --(did I get those right, you experts?).

Trailer idea feedback-- Yea, it would be kind of a pain to get it straight at the beginning of the row, hadn't thought of that. And also the light weight getting knocked off-course -- sure, that makes sense. Could maybe add weight to keep it from being upset, would need to experiment.

And more good ideas there too, to use the front bumper, although that sounds tough to see what is happening, gotta think thru that.

The existing equipment, like the Cub or Allis -- yea, I suppose if I was more serious with acreage, but I really only want one horse standing around. Those cultivator tractors were kinda specially configured with high clearance and adjustable width, really neat as I remember. I am afraid that I will not find a good substitute for their purity of design.

Another thing keeps popping up in my mind, so I will mention it. So, let's say for simplicty I just configure a toolbar 3-point cultivator. And I drive slowly and carefully, after all it is a small patch. But what if there was a hydraulic option of side-shifting the toolbar to align it as I drove along roughly in the correct track. Almost seems like a two-person job as I explain it. Probably crazy.

/ Corn row cultivator mounting positions ideas needed. #6  
We plant a LOT of sweet corn and sure, I miss the cultivators on our Massey from the 1950's. Like a Farmall, you cultivated by looking down toward your feet. That is why these small, but tall tractors were so popular on tobacco road and with us produce farmers.

Today, I can use this cultivator and do every other row, if you are careful. It's isn't as good as the old days, but it's fine. But once the corn is over 8" tall, you're about done. I do still "run the rows" with a walk behind. It's not nearly as much work as it sounds. You can cover the ground quickly as all you're doing is quickly tilling and/adding side dressing.

/ Corn row cultivator mounting positions ideas needed. #7  
But what if there was a hydraulic option of side-shifting the toolbar to align it as I drove along roughly in the correct track. Probably crazy.

You know what they say: If it's crazy but it works, it's not crazy.

It sounds like it's be a pretty simple build, one cylinder, a couple of mounts and some telescoping tube could get you there pretty quick.

If it saves you from knocking out a half a row or so of corn, why not?

Now if you set up a construction laser pointing along the row, a sensor at the tool, an electric valve, and a microprocessor to keep it all coordinated, that'd be crazy...

/ Corn row cultivator mounting positions ideas needed. #8  
We plant a LOT of sweet corn and sure, I miss the cultivators on our Massey from the 1950's. Like a Farmall, you cultivated by looking down toward your feet. That is why these small, but tall tractors were so popular on tobacco road and with us produce farmers.

Today, I can use this cultivator and do every other row, if you are careful. It's isn't as good as the old days, but it's fine. But once the corn is over 8" tall, you're about done. I do still "run the rows" with a walk behind. It's not nearly as much work as it sounds. You can cover the ground quickly as all you're doing is quickly tilling and/adding side dressing.

I have the very same cultivator, a TSC special. I put 7" sweeps on mine instead of the chisel points. Pop a set of guage wheels on it and just cultivate 1 row at a time. To me it is just too hard to keep an eye on two rows back there!!

/ Corn row cultivator mounting positions ideas needed. #9  
You know what they say: If it's crazy but it works, it's not crazy.

It sounds like it's be a pretty simple build, one cylinder, a couple of mounts and some telescoping tube could get you there pretty quick.

If it saves you from knocking out a half a row or so of corn, why not?

Now if you set up a construction laser pointing along the row, a sensor at the tool, an electric valve, and a microprocessor to keep it all coordinated, that'd be crazy...

If you could get the toolbar heavy enough, you could put rolling coulters just at the edge of each of the rows to help keep the unit from skipping around if one side grabs harder than the other. And if you had the coulters, you could mount a liquid fert knife just behind one coulter on each row and inject liquid fertilizer at the same time. Just put a TSC 12volt dc pump on the toolbar, and pop a small tank on with some sprayer hose and a regulator. Voila!!

/ Corn row cultivator mounting positions ideas needed.
If you could get the toolbar heavy enough, you could put rolling coulters just at the edge of each of the rows to help keep the unit from skipping around if one side grabs harder than the other. And if you had the coulters, you could mount a liquid fert knife just behind one coulter on each row and inject liquid fertilizer at the same time. Just put a TSC 12volt dc pump on the toolbar, and pop a small tank on with some sprayer hose and a regulator. Voila!!

WINNER !!!
This is what I want. I have been trying to get around to putting a liquid fertilizer application system on the planter to put a band of starter a couple inches away from each row when planting, but haven't gotten around to that yet. Perhaps I skip that and add fertilizer to the cultivator. That gives additional motivation to get out there and cultivate once or twice.
Now I need photos of existing stuff to copy from. I gotta look around and find a farm machinery junkyard kinda place near me here in SE MN, near Rochester.