Homemade Tree / Post Puller

/ Homemade Tree / Post Puller #1  

JustBob

Tractor
2005 New Holland TT55
After 3 years of wanting one, I finally decided to buy one. That is until I figured I really couldnt afford it, so i am building my own. I designed it based on my grapple frame, and 3 others I saw online.

So I went shopping and picked this up from a local machine shop, Snow's Machine & Welding.

1- 3 1/2" x 3 1/2" x 3/8 square tubing, 6.5' long
2- 4" x 2" x 3/8 tube, 48" long
2- 2" x 2" x 5/16 square tubing

smGEDC0489.jpg

I already had the 3/4 plate, so I cut out the 8" x 24" sides for the main frame using some 2" angle for a straight edge.

smGEDC0488.jpg

smGEDC0491.jpg

I cut out the holes in the side plates for the crossmembers, then assembled to tack it together... except I somehow cut the cord on my grinder.

smGEDC0504.jpg

smGEDC0503.jpg

Still have a lot more to do tomorrow after a short trip for some more oxygen, and another power cord for the grinder, lol.

/ Homemade Tree / Post Puller #2  
Keep us informed of your progress and how effective it is after completion. Thanks for posting. :thumbsup:

/ Homemade Tree / Post Puller #3  
Thanks for posting sounds like a good project to follow.. And a litle solder on the grinder wires and some tape and it should be good to go. Just shows your like us all..lol

/ Homemade Tree / Post Puller #4  
Lookin' forward to see this come together!!! :)

Bill

/ Homemade Tree / Post Puller #5  
"I somehow cut the cord to my grinder "

I can relate to this. Brand new Milwaukee grinder, piece of steel I cut hit the floor and severed the electrical cord to the grinder. Well I guess they are not new very long... and it could have been much worse. Now I am much more aware of my electrical connections.

/ Homemade Tree / Post Puller #6  
Thanks for posting. Anxious to watch your progress.
ametcalf

/ Homemade Tree / Post Puller
Thanks everyone,

Not much to update, but I did finish welding the main frame until I get the brackets on. I used what I could find, but I think it is a little too heavy duty, lol. The frame weighs in at 200 lbs! I'm not sure but I think total weight will be between 400-500lbs. The bushings I ordered for the hinged jaw has been delayed, so I will be using it for now without them with the grade 8 3/4 bolts for the hinge.

In my little shop welding...

smGEDC0505.jpg

smGEDC0508.jpg

I dropped off the prints for the jaw tooth plate yesterday, hopefully I will hear back from the machine shop today...

JTblueprint.jpg

Also, I will be adding 3 point attachments to the rear so it can be used with or without a loader. I will have to decide on cat 1 or cat 2 ?

Will have more updates later today.

/ Homemade Tree / Post Puller #8  
Looks like a good start! I must have lead a sheltered life as I had to google what a tree puller looked like LOL
Happy welding :thumbsup:

/ Homemade Tree / Post Puller #9  
3/4 is not enough metal left in the bottom of the V cut.

If you grab something at the end and apply force, you stand a chance of bending the unit.

1 in teeth should be sufficient for grabbing and pulling, and that will give you more metal on the backside.

Attachments

• treegrapple.jpg
    treegrapple.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 1,862
  • puller6.gif
    puller6.gif
    130.5 KB · Views: 4,615
  • tree-post-puller (1).jpg
    tree-post-puller (1).jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 8,302
   / Homemade Tree / Post Puller
3/4 is not enough metal left in the bottom of the V cut.

If you grab something at the end and apply force, you stand a chance of bending the unit.

1 in teeth should be sufficient for grabbing and pulling, and that will give you more metal on the backside.

Well now you tell me! Just kidding :D

The machine shop has already started, so it is to late to change the edge from 3/4 to 1 inch. Since the teeth are cut from 3/4 plate and will be welded full length, would the thickness between the teeth (3/4" vs 1") make much difference in the strength of the teeth against bending? Just curious.