PTO leaf blower

/ PTO leaf blower #1  

204saskman

Gold Member
Tractor
Montana 2844R Hst
So i had a thread on this a while ago and i built one but it didnt last long(the test and the squirl cage blew apart. So i have gone back to square one and decided to start over again. Now i recently started a new job and the place i work at has a pretty big scrap/bone/parts yard. Now as i was out there the other day i noticed a air mover(about 20" fan and 12" wide) and it is connected to a 5hp electric motor. Now i was sizing this unit up as it has been demmed scrap(they bought about 6 different sizes before they got the right size. Now my questions are the electric motor is rated at 3490 rpm and my tractor only has 540 rpm. So what my question is, is there a speed increasing gear box(i was thinking of something that is 1-6 increase(540 in and 3240 out.). But i have been looking around and it seems that most of them are lik 40-1 or 20-1 or odd sizes like that. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be helpful.

/ PTO leaf blower
Ya and i have been trying to find one but not having any luck. I might have figured it out that i can build it with some pullys and belts.

/ PTO leaf blower #4  
A gearbox off of a pto generator will do it. I bought mine from Central Georgia Generator. They have a website but I dont know how to add a link for it.

/ PTO leaf blower #5  
One big advantage of the belt and sheave drive is the ability to make adjustments for different speeds. Look and the fan curves for your fan. The hp and speed requirements will vary greatly based on both the CFM and static pressure.

/ PTO leaf blower #6  
On our family farm yrs back(1974) my Dad built a blower for our large maple tree filled yard and this is what he did. Bought a used Kools KB 60 silo blower at auction for $250. Torched the apron and feed auger and related off so just the fan and frame with wheels remained, put a screen over where the silage used to enter the fan. Rotated the band housing so the 8" outlet was parrallel to the ground and took 2 steel grain shovels and cut and welded them (face to face with 8" inlet pipe) into a nozzel 4" above the ground.
I pulled that around with a 32hp WD allis and it moved leaves a good 60-70' no problem in in 1 hr our 3 acre lawn was done.
Cheap, easy and 100% effective and no calculator needed to figure out ratio's and things. I still see these laying around farmyards and junkyards all over.

/ PTO leaf blower

would but the motor is 3 phase. And i have been looking for a silo blower for over a year and it is very difficult to find one in 540. Lots around that are a 1000 but hardly n e with 540. Like i said i did some reading on these at work and they move alot of air(will move something like 9000 cfm at 3480rpm). Im gonna try and figure this all out and ill try to keep tack of this and post it as i go.

/ PTO leaf blower #9  
Take a drive down here to Wausau, WI 54401 because I know where there 3 silo blowers within 5 mi from my house, and 1 has a bad bearing and he will sell that 54" Fox for $50. Another is a JD 60" and the guys out of farming now and $100 would get that and thats in ok shape. Plus at the auto junkyard by me is a Gehl , missing the pto shaft but spins nice and smooth and $25 will do the job. If your just moving air any 60" or smaller your Montana will work just fine and will keep a big smile on your face when using it!

/ PTO leaf blower
ya but its the 1000 bucks in diesel to get me there is the issue lol alough it would be nice vacation