Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1215, Toro 266-H, Pennsylvania Panzer, Case 444, Craftsman 14/6

Default Re: Building an "old fashioned appearance" new barn

Thanks for that materials list. That's nice to have.
    From now on I will only buy cars that are a silver/grey color. Then I can make all body repairs with Duct Tape.

Tractor
    Zetor 5945

As a resident of a very (and many would say 'overly') regulated country I have to say how lucky you are to just be able to build something like this without constant bureaucratic scrutiny, before, during and after it's built.
    Here in New Zealand, regardless of whether it's a non-residential structure or not, full plans, together with engineering detail would need to be submitted and approved before the first sod was even turned.
    And, just recently it's become even more draconian, in that, even with a 'permit' to embark on a structure it cannot be built with the active participation of a fully-qualified tradesman.
    So, you don't know how lucky you are.
    The only downside of your more liberal conditions, that I can see, is if a building like this isn't scrutinised by some authority, what happens if it has a serious structural weakness and, say, the loft collapses and kills somebody - what happens then?
    Please don't take this as any criticism. I have my own barn, reasonably similar in design to the one you are building. (Pic attached. Sorry that it's only the rear view).
    -img_6241-jpg
    I did build it myself (about twenty years ago) - and they watched me like hawks every step of the way.
    Best of luck.
    Ed

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK45SE Hst

No one to blame but myself if the loft collapses, I guess. As soon as you classify a barn as a shop, there are all kinds of permits, though. For an "Ag" building, many counties in the US are kind and give permits w/o plans or engineering. Of course, most of the Ag buildings that are erected are wood kits which are pre-engineered or metal buildings.....no DIY from scratch. And I had to sign an affidavit that it's not a shop w/ insulation, etc.

With prescriptive engineering, you can just look at load tables for wood, i.e. 2x8 will be adequate for rafters at "x"/12 roof pitch over "y"-span at "z"-on-center. I was a physics major in college and have a reasonable knowledge of engineering, but reading load tables isn't too difficult. I'm building the loft to handle 70 psf load.
    Kioti DK45SE HST w/ backhoe, forks, PHD, box blade, chipper. Living off-grid, Listeroid 6/1 backup, masonry stove, thermal mass H2O storage
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temp Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin, 1775
    "The 2nd Amendment is the RESET button of the US Constitution"

Love the design, but I might be biased!

-forumrunner_20120524_192644-png

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK45SE Hst

Was just thinking, axelgrease, I worry like you do about lofts collapsing. A lot of people may design the loft to handle a high load by looking at the load tables, but then they hang the beams on brackets. That's where I see problems. Unless the brackets are thick, engineered steel structural plates held w/ big lag screws or bolts, something is going to fall! My loft will be kept above my head by 3/4" through bolts x 12.
    Kioti DK45SE HST w/ backhoe, forks, PHD, box blade, chipper. Living off-grid, Listeroid 6/1 backup, masonry stove, thermal mass H2O storage
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temp Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin, 1775

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK45SE Hst

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHunterJon View Post

Nice! Did you build it? Kit?

Thanks. Yes, my wife and I built it about 6 years ago. Not a kit, all my design. At the time, it housed our belongings while we built our house. Now it is my wood working shop.

Tractor
    Zetor 5945

Quote Originally Posted by schweizer View Post
    Was just thinking, axelgrease, I worry like you do about lofts collapsing. A lot of people may design the loft to handle a high load by looking at the load tables, but then they hang the beams on brackets. That's where I see problems. Unless the brackets are thick, engineered steel structural plates held w/ big lag screws or bolts, something is going to fall! My loft will be kept above my head by 3/4" through bolts x 12.
    I wasn't for one moment suggesting that the loft was likely to collapse. I was merely using it to illustrate the only postive benefit that I could see to the bureaucratic overview/meddling that we in NZ have to live with.
    I'm certainly no advocate for the bureaucracy. In fact, I seriously lean towards being a closet anarchist.
    The difficulty that the average diy builder always confronts is just how strong to make things. Usually, because of their uncertainty, they make it 'overstrength'.
    However, there are also a few people who skrimp on the quality and/or quantity of materials - and that's all very well if they simply continue to dwell within their own follies. But, what happens if and when they sell?
    As I said earlier, I have no desire to knock anything. I think it's just dandy that you are able to simply go ahead and raise a barn, in the old-fashioned, uninhibited fashion.
    I was ruing the fact that I couldn't do the same.
    Ed

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deer Lt160

I have board and batton on my barn, and on my shed, and chicken coop. I like the look of it. I was searching the net for old fashioned siding and came across these sites. I dont know the price but it sure is interesting.
    Old Kentucky Logs
    EverLog Concrete Log Siding

Tractor
    1981 Yanmar 336D

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHunterJon View Post

I want that to be my next house! I love the look and it's the perfect size!
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ― Aristotle

Yanmar 1981 YM336D

From this . . . . To this

Check out the full restoration project: Part 1 - Part 2 - Part 3 . . . . Adding gauges? How-to

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast