Need ideas for a rotating log boom for log cabin

/ Need ideas for a rotating log boom for log cabin #1  

davedj1

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501
I'm building a log addition and I was hoping I could rig something in the center of the room (20x20) and use it to lift and swing the logs into place.
I'm not sure what it would be called so I'm having trouble finding anything on google. I don't need a long reach as I can stage the logs close, it's all backfilled.

The logs are 8"x8"x up to 16' , it's a one story (12 rows high) with a bunch of windows and a sliding door.

I have tongs, electric winches, material (wood and metal), snatch blocks and a 500' spool of cable, just need an image to copy.
thanks,
dave

Last edited:
   / Need ideas for a rotating log boom for log cabin #2  
000_0494.jpg

/ Need ideas for a rotating log boom for log cabin #3  
The old way:

history-of-the-log-cabin0.gif

logcab5.jpg

No picture found, but I've heard of it done by one person using a 2-log ramp, with peg holes in each, and sliding each end of the wall log up about a foot at a time, then putting in a peg to hold it.

The modern way:
log_cabin_kit.jpg

Bruce

/ Need ideas for a rotating log boom for log cabin
Artisan, I appreciate your input, I'm not sure if the gin pole will work without some metal fab work on the bottom and I think the support cables will be in the way.
The two log roller is out (I have a bad back hence the need)
The machine is too expensive to rent and there really isn't the room required for that type of machine.

I remember seeing a picture of one that would work but for the life of me can't seem to find it and I don't know what it was called if in fact it had a name..LOL

I've been searching 'till my eyes hurt :)
I've been sketching too , I think I have a design I like.
thanks,
dave

/ Need ideas for a rotating log boom for log cabin #6  
I used a gin pole very similar to Artisans for setting the trusses on my house, except that my boom was mounted much higher, about where his come alongs are hooked. That way if you needed guy wires, they could be attached under the boom to the corners of the building and wouldn't interfere with the swing. We used pulleys with a rope attached to the car for raising them.

/ Need ideas for a rotating log boom for log cabin #7  
take a look at these links simular to what your trying to do,
Boom Derrick

Pole Derrick

Rigging

could you find a truck or borrow one that has some jin poles on it, and a winch,

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=29557
take a look at post 14,

my son build a set on his one ton, and a winch made out of a worm drive gear box, it is amazing what that truck will lift,
his is on the back of the truck but if on the front one could drive and adjust the postion of the line very easy,
one on the front
http://ldlawrence.deviantart.com/art/Gin-Pole-136159919

Last edited:
   / Need ideas for a rotating log boom for log cabin #8  
take a look at these links simular to what your trying to do,
Boom Derrick

Good link BHD---This boom derrick is very similar to what we had only ours was much less elaborate and as mentioned our boom was mounted much higher to clear the existing floor. We used no guys as the trusses didn't weigh over 125-50 pounds and the pole was in the ground about 4-5 ft.

/ Need ideas for a rotating log boom for log cabin
some very cool info guys, thanks.
One problem I am facing is access, front is where logs will be staged, side there is a 1000 gal propane tank buried so I can't drive there (it's right in the middle) and the back is inaccessible. The pole derrick looks like it may work with some improvements, I have a Ramsey worm gear drive winch (9K) and a couple of 2500 cheapies kicking around.

I did finally stumble across cantilever cranes, they look like they may work with some imagination. I suppose the pole derrick will be the easiest to erect. I'll work on a rotating base in the next few days.

Thanks again for the great leads.
dave