Quick temporary boom pole

/ Quick temporary boom pole #1  

schweizer

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45SE Hst
Since you guys already think I'm crazy for suggesting going down hills in 4wd, I'll show you my quick boom pole. I need to lift a couple (well 6) of 6"x12" x 12' laminated beams up 14' for building my barn. Seems to work fine when testing last night. See my barn building thread for the barn design.

Marcus

boom_pole3-1.jpg

boom_pole3-2.jpg

The forks keep the boom from swinging side-to-side.

boom_pole3-3.jpg

Thick long L-bracket anchors the vertical post. Weight on the boom puts down pressure on the nails, locking the L-bracket even tighter.

boom_pole3-4.jpg

The notched 4x4 is lagged into the vertical post, keeping it from tipping side-to-side.

boom_pole3-5.jpg

These beams aren't real heavy, maybe around 150 lbs (?). I can lift one side easily enough.

boom_pole3-6.jpg

/ Quick temporary boom pole #2  
Looking at the pic with your L bracket, It looks like it will pull out. There appears to be some seperation already. I would think you want that bracket to go all the way down and under the bottom piece not between them.

/ Quick temporary boom pole
Oh, the portion of the bracket that goes underneath is about 8" long and is pushed in tighter when there is a load on the boom. There are no nails or screws on the part where it looks to be loose.

/ Quick temporary boom pole #4  
I a similar thing with a 10' length of 2" schedule 40 pipe on my bale spear, as it turns out it has become pretty permanent, easy to slip on.

Nessesity is the mother of invention.

Nice!

/ Quick temporary boom pole #5  
This is what I used. Schedule 40 4" over a single Paynes fork. Worked great

Attachments

• 100_1104.JPG
    100_1104.JPG
    873.6 KB · Views: 651