Funnel: I decided to make a good one

/ Funnel: I decided to make a good one #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
I decided to make me a good funnel today wiht some scraps. Its hard to find a good funnel anymore. The large ones are $$$, about $30 each, and are really thin . They bend too easy when tossing them off the tractor:laughing: Or they are plastic. All of which are probabally made in China.

This one is ~9" diameter and ~6" high. Roughly a 7 quart capacity. Outlet hole is a good 1" or so. Made of 16ga SS:thumbsup: Should last a lifetime and can probabally also double as a jackstand:laughing:

Attachments

• funnel1.jpg
    funnel1.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 430
  • funnel2.jpg
    funnel2.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 487
  • funnel3.jpg
    funnel3.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 386
   / Funnel: I decided to make a good one #2  
Looks good... :thumbsup:

That's got me thinking... :shocked: I have a BIG funnel for hydraulic fluid but don't really like how it sits... would be good to have one that would fit better and hook firmly on the SMV bracket... It's a good excuse to get a cheap mig welder ;) I have not done much with thinner metal but it's about time!

/ Funnel: I decided to make a good one #3  
Looks good... :thumbsup:

That's got me thinking... :shocked: I have a BIG funnel for hydraulic fluid but don't really like how it sits... would be good to have one that would fit better and hook firmly on the SMV bracket... It's a good excuse to get a cheap mig welder ;) I have not done much with thinner metal but it's about time!

teg.. start tiggin.:) If you have a DC stick welder you are half the way there.

James K0UA

/ Funnel: I decided to make a good one #4  
A mans gots to know his limitations ...... I know mine. I have played with sheet stainless and unless you have a sheet metal shop at your disposal, go back to the drawing board.
Nice work. The taper on the tube had to be made with specialized tools.
I just bought a sheet of twenty guage steel to make a dump trailer tool box and some take offs for a lawn vacuum. Bending techniques with available metal shapes proves interesting and head scratching at times. A MIG welder is king of this operation.

/ Funnel: I decided to make a good one #5  
I decided to make me a good funnel today wiht some scraps. Its hard to find a good funnel anymore. The large ones are $$$, about $30 each, and are really thin . They bend too easy when tossing them off the tractor:laughing: Or they are plastic. All of which are probabally made in China.

This one is ~9" diameter and ~6" high. Roughly a 7 quart capacity. Outlet hole is a good 1" or so. Made of 16ga SS:thumbsup: Should last a lifetime and can probabally also double as a jackstand:laughing:

Darn good idea. The only thing I would add, is a handle on the side so your fingers areaway from sharp edges, and from the oil, or whatever you're pouring in it.

Might have to make on of those for myself.:thumbsup:

/ Funnel: I decided to make a good one #6  

Which way you pour your fluids in and does it leak?????

Nice job :eek:

/ Funnel: I decided to make a good one
teg.. start tiggin.:) If you have a DC stick welder you are half the way there.

James K0UA

Agreed. Tig is the only way to go on thin stuff IMO. Migging thin stuff leaves a big ugly weld bead.

A mans gots to know his limitations ...... I know mine. I have played with sheet stainless and unless you have a sheet metal shop at your disposal, go back to the drawing board.
Nice work. The taper on the tube had to be made with specialized tools.
I just bought a sheet of twenty guage steel to make a dump trailer tool box and some take offs for a lawn vacuum. Bending techniques with available metal shapes proves interesting and head scratching at times. A MIG welder is king of this operation.

Definatally took some trial and error and planning. Theres basically three parts. The upper straight peice. That was easialy made in the roller. Then the mid section and the lower smaller section.

The mid section, I cut out the shape. Basically looked like one of those lamp-shade-dog-scratch-protector-thingys. Then used a hydraulic press and pressed it down into the upper peice and it kinda formed itself.

The lower part was the challenge. Because the roller has 3" rolls, and wont taper a part like that, it was time for some brainstorming. Solution: Cut the peice out. IT was a trapezoid shape. and then used the brake. And a series of small bends. Moving farther between bends on the big end. Then I put it in the lathe and used the BIG live-center and kinda used it like a flaring tool to make the end-to-be welded nice and round instead of octagonal:thumbsup:
Which way you pour your fluids in and does it leak?????

Nice job :eek:

Nope, no leaks.:thumbsup: And the fluid goes in the small end:laughing:

/ Funnel: I decided to make a good one #9  
Agreed. Tig is the only way to go on thin stuff IMO. Migging thin stuff leaves a big ugly weld bead.

Definatally took some trial and error and planning. Theres basically three parts. The upper straight peice. That was easialy made in the roller. Then the mid section and the lower smaller section.

The mid section, I cut out the shape. Basically looked like one of those lamp-shade-dog-scratch-protector-thingys. Then used a hydraulic press and pressed it down into the upper peice and it kinda formed itself.

The lower part was the challenge. Because the roller has 3" rolls, and wont taper a part like that, it was time for some brainstorming. Solution: Cut the peice out. IT was a trapezoid shape. and then used the brake. And a series of small bends. Moving farther between bends on the big end. Then I put it in the lathe and used the BIG live-center and kinda used it like a flaring tool to make the end-to-be welded nice and round instead of octagonal:thumbsup:

Nope, no leaks.:thumbsup: And the fluid goes in the small end:laughing:
Darn good job! ... That tells you when its overfilled. ;)
larry