Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota l3400

Default Funnel: I decided to make a good one

I decided to make me a good funnel today wiht some scraps. Its hard to find a good funnel anymore. The large ones are $$$, about $30 each, and are really thin . They bend too easy when tossing them off the tractor Or they are plastic. All of which are probabally made in China.

This one is ~9" diameter and ~6" high. Roughly a 7 quart capacity. Outlet hole is a good 1" or so. Made of 16ga SS Should last a lifetime and can probabally also double as a jackstand
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -funnel1-jpg   -funnel2-jpg   -funnel3-jpg  
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota L3400GST W/LA463 FEL
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

Elite Member
    Tractor

Default Re: Funnel: I decided to make a good one

Looks good...

That's got me thinking... I have a BIG funnel for hydraulic fluid but don't really like how it sits... would be good to have one that would fit better and hook firmly on the SMV bracket... It's a good excuse to get a cheap mig welder I have not done much with thinner metal but it's about time!

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Quote Originally Posted by teg View Post
    Looks good...

That's got me thinking... I have a BIG funnel for hydraulic fluid but don't really like how it sits... would be good to have one that would fit better and hook firmly on the SMV bracket... It's a good excuse to get a cheap mig welder I have not done much with thinner metal but it's about time!
    teg.. start tiggin. If you have a DC stick welder you are half the way there.

James K0UA
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Platinum Member

A mans gots to know his limitations ...... I know mine. I have played with sheet stainless and unless you have a sheet metal shop at your disposal, go back to the drawing board.
    Nice work. The taper on the tube had to be made with specialized tools.
    I just bought a sheet of twenty guage steel to make a dump trailer tool box and some take offs for a lawn vacuum. Bending techniques with available metal shapes proves interesting and head scratching at times. A MIG welder is king of this operation.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1010

Quote Originally Posted by LD1 View Post
    I decided to make me a good funnel today wiht some scraps. Its hard to find a good funnel anymore. The large ones are $$$, about $30 each, and are really thin . They bend too easy when tossing them off the tractor Or they are plastic. All of which are probabally made in China.

This one is ~9" diameter and ~6" high. Roughly a 7 quart capacity. Outlet hole is a good 1" or so. Made of 16ga SS Should last a lifetime and can probabally also double as a jackstand

Darn good idea. The only thing I would add, is a handle on the side so your fingers areaway from sharp edges, and from the oil, or whatever you're pouring in it.

Might have to make on of those for myself.

Tractor
    Kioti DK 40-Massey ferguson 135-Ventrac 4500 Diesel

Which way you pour your fluids in and does it leak?????

Nice job
    Murph ------------

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX25

The Tinman would be proud...
    Regards,

Artisan

Kubota 2012 BX25 (23H.P. / 17.7pto)
    14' Dump / Carson 12K Tow Trailer w/ movable Winch,
    Canopy, Tunes, Stabilizer Soft Pads, 10"-12"BH Buckets, FEL Grapple, Fasse Valved & Switched,
    Fire Extinguisher, ChainSaw Mount, Protective Surround / Enclosure in the works.

Stayin' Alive (This click could save a life...)

Tractor
    Kubota l3400

Quote Originally Posted by k0ua View Post
    teg.. start tiggin. If you have a DC stick welder you are half the way there.

James K0UA
    Agreed. Tig is the only way to go on thin stuff IMO. Migging thin stuff leaves a big ugly weld bead.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Blue View Post
    A mans gots to know his limitations ...... I know mine. I have played with sheet stainless and unless you have a sheet metal shop at your disposal, go back to the drawing board.
    Nice work. The taper on the tube had to be made with specialized tools.
    I just bought a sheet of twenty guage steel to make a dump trailer tool box and some take offs for a lawn vacuum. Bending techniques with available metal shapes proves interesting and head scratching at times. A MIG welder is king of this operation.
    Definatally took some trial and error and planning. Theres basically three parts. The upper straight peice. That was easialy made in the roller. Then the mid section and the lower smaller section.

The mid section, I cut out the shape. Basically looked like one of those lamp-shade-dog-scratch-protector-thingys. Then used a hydraulic press and pressed it down into the upper peice and it kinda formed itself.

The lower part was the challenge. Because the roller has 3" rolls, and wont taper a part like that, it was time for some brainstorming. Solution: Cut the peice out. IT was a trapezoid shape. and then used the brake. And a series of small bends. Moving farther between bends on the big end. Then I put it in the lathe and used the BIG live-center and kinda used it like a flaring tool to make the end-to-be welded nice and round instead of octagonal
    Quote Originally Posted by murphy1244 View Post
    Which way you pour your fluids in and does it leak?????

Nice job
    Nope, no leaks. And the fluid goes in the small end

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

Agreed. Tig is the only way to go on thin stuff IMO. Migging thin stuff leaves a big ugly weld bead.

Definatally took some trial and error and planning. Theres basically three parts. The upper straight peice. That was easialy made in the roller. Then the mid section and the lower smaller section.

The mid section, I cut out the shape. Basically looked like one of those lamp-shade-dog-scratch-protector-thingys. Then used a hydraulic press and pressed it down into the upper peice and it kinda formed itself.

The lower part was the challenge. Because the roller has 3" rolls, and wont taper a part like that, it was time for some brainstorming. Solution: Cut the peice out. IT was a trapezoid shape. and then used the brake. And a series of small bends. Moving farther between bends on the big end. Then I put it in the lathe and used the BIG live-center and kinda used it like a flaring tool to make the end-to-be welded nice and round instead of octagonal

Nope, no leaks. And the fluid goes in the small end
    Darn good job! ... That tells you when its overfilled.
    larry
    This side of 40
    JD2010, Kubota L3450/FEL w SK QC, L2550 w FEL
    Mahindra 7520 [Pinky] /FEL w Skid Steer QC/w Tilt Tatch & BH, BX1500 [Mighty Mouse]
    IH37 Baler, CCM165 Drum Mower, JD Rake
    JD 127 bushog, Flail, SK Tilt Tatch , KK tiller, Rhino rear blade, Post driver, post auger, chipper, pallet fork, Grapple/Loader Buddy, Homemade Splitter/DC Welder

Tractor
    Kubota l3400

Quote Originally Posted by Artisan View Post
    The Tinman would be proud...
    Or jealous ????????

Quote Originally Posted by SPYDERLK View Post
    Darn good job! ... That tells you when its overfilled.
    larry

Thanks. And thanks to everyone for the complements.

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Dolmar PS540