Very simple trailer mover

/ Very simple trailer mover #1  

quicksandfarmer

Veteran Member
Tractor
Jinma 354, purchased 2007
trailer.jpg

I made this trailer mover using stuff I had lying around. It's a piece of SuperStrut, two U-bolts, and a trailer ball. To work with the SuperStrut the trailer ball has to have a 5/8" shaft, the one I'm using is from Northern Tool:
Buyers Chrome-Plated Ball 1 7/8in. Dia., Model# 1802103 | Hitch Balls| Northern Tool + Equipment

The whole assembly is bolted to the teeth of the toothbar on the front-end loader.

The path that goes down to the pond is narrow and winding, and when I put the boat in there's no way I can back down it with the tractor. Usually what I do is wait for my brother to visit and we get the trailer as close as we can and then pick it up and walk it the rest of the way. He came last week, and since he's the oldest and I'm the youngest I never want him to think I need his help for anything. So time was of the essence when I put this together. It worked beautifully, I was able to put the trailer right where I wanted it on the water's edge -- and then casually mention to my brother that the boat was already in the water!

Obviously this is not for heavy trailers.

/ Very simple trailer mover #2  
Nothing like a front mount trailer ball in a tight spot, even on a truck....

/ Very simple trailer mover #3  
Great idea for a trailer mover. I like it.

Chad

/ Very simple trailer mover #4  
Quick, cheap and effective. I like it! Good job.

Joe

/ Very simple trailer mover #5  
Nothing like a front mount trailer ball in a tight spot, even on a truck....

For sure! When I get off my lazy rear I _will_ find a way to put a ball on the front of the rider mower so I can put the log splitter and the trailer into tight spots...of course I've been saying that for 3 years now.

Harry K

/ Very simple trailer mover #6  
Super idea!

I need 'something', but didn't want to chop of one of my hooks on the bucket just for a receiver. The u-bolt idea is a good 'un. Way to go! Now I can re-think how I'm going to put one on my bucket. Thanks!

/ Very simple trailer mover #7  
I put my front ball gizmo right on the floor of my FEL bucket centered behind the cutting edge. Just a piece of flatbar welded to a 2.5" box tubing with (2) 5/8" holes in it & the bucket floor. I don't loose much dirt thru the 2 holes when not using the hitch insert.