Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Jinma 354, purchased 2007

Default Very simple trailer mover

-trailer-jpg

I made this trailer mover using stuff I had lying around. It's a piece of SuperStrut, two U-bolts, and a trailer ball. To work with the SuperStrut the trailer ball has to have a 5/8" shaft, the one I'm using is from Northern Tool:
    Buyers Chrome-Plated Ball 1 7/8in. Dia., Model# 1802103 | Hitch Balls| Northern Tool + Equipment

The whole assembly is bolted to the teeth of the toothbar on the front-end loader.

The path that goes down to the pond is narrow and winding, and when I put the boat in there's no way I can back down it with the tractor. Usually what I do is wait for my brother to visit and we get the trailer as close as we can and then pick it up and walk it the rest of the way. He came last week, and since he's the oldest and I'm the youngest I never want him to think I need his help for anything. So time was of the essence when I put this together. It worked beautifully, I was able to put the trailer right where I wanted it on the water's edge -- and then casually mention to my brother that the boat was already in the water!

Obviously this is not for heavy trailers.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD4300

Default Re: Very simple trailer mover

Nothing like a front mount trailer ball in a tight spot, even on a truck....

Tractor
    Sears Garden Tractor with home built loader

Great idea for a trailer mover. I like it.

Chad
    Remodeling 100 year old house
    I'm buying a 100 year old house that is in need of a serious makeover. I will be posting pics of the remodeling in the thread at the link.

Updated with new pics on 3/30/2015

Tractor
    Fordson Major Diesel, McCormick Deering W4, Ford 1510, John Deere L111

Quick, cheap and effective. I like it! Good job.

Joe
    Joe

Fordson Major Diesel: Case 3-bottom Trip Plow, Case 12' Trip Field Cultivator, Kewanee 130 Disc, John Deere 1209 Mower Conditioner, John Deere 594LW Side Delivery Rake, New Holland Hayliner 273 Baler, 18' Spike-Tooth Harrow
    Ford 1510: Du-Al 105 Loader, "The Thumb" Grapple, Bush Hog RBC60 Rear Blade, Woods HC54 Rotary Cutter, Tarter 5' Heavy-Duty Hinge Back Box Blade, Buhler Farm King Y600 Snowblower

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by pat32rf View Post
    Nothing like a front mount trailer ball in a tight spot, even on a truck....
    For sure! When I get off my lazy rear I _will_ find a way to put a ball on the front of the rider mower so I can put the log splitter and the trailer into tight spots...of course I've been saying that for 3 years now.

Harry K

Tractor
    Kubota L3400HST

Super idea!

I need 'something', but didn't want to chop of one of my hooks on the bucket just for a receiver. The u-bolt idea is a good 'un. Way to go! Now I can re-think how I'm going to put one on my bucket. Thanks!

Silver Member
    Tractor
    (2) IH284Diesels,GE-E8m,GE-E14 Elec-Trac's

I put my front ball gizmo right on the floor of my FEL bucket centered behind the cutting edge. Just a piece of flatbar welded to a 2.5" box tubing with (2) 5/8" holes in it & the bucket floor. I don't loose much dirt thru the 2 holes when not using the hitch insert.
    "We, the Unwilling, Led by the Unknowing, set off to accomplish the impossible...the difficult...we do immediatly....the impossible just takes a little longer"