Tractor implements made of stainless steel

/ Tractor implements made of stainless steel #1  

Zeus1

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 1700 & International Harvester Cub
Hi all. I have been looking at a new bush hog. Personally, I hate the fact that they look kinda ruff after a couple of years from scratches and rust etc. I do have access to lots of scrap stainless. Would anyone have any ideas in's and out's for building some tractor implements out of stainless steel? Kinda seems like a good idea as to no paint required. No rust! No reprinting. And if it gets scratched up, it's only shinny scratches, not awful scratches that rust up. Anyone have any thoughts?

/ Tractor implements made of stainless steel #3  
Depends on the stainless that you use...
It can rust

/ Tractor implements made of stainless steel #5  
There are also fully galvanized ones available from an outfit in TX.

Aaron Z

/ Tractor implements made of stainless steel
If it is rusting it isnt stainless! Not talking about 3cr12, it is silver but it ain't stainless. I'm talking about 304L, 316L, or 317L. Just about every fab shop I have been to has tons of scrap stainless piled up. I'm sure if you offer them scrap price they will gladly sell some.

/ Tractor implements made of stainless steel #7  
Stainless = $$$$$$$$, which is why implements aren't made from it unless it's a special purpose gadget.

/ Tractor implements made of stainless steel #8  
The reason most shops have s/s piled up, is because it is drops from previous jobs (left overs) and if they use just a single piece on another job, then the cost savings (or pure profit) is usually more than the whole pile would bring at the scrap yard. So... if you do get them to sell you some at scrap prices, consider yourself lucky!
David from jax (who has a pile of s/s around also)

A friend of mine was talking to another long time friend about how they made so much stuff out of s/s, only to have it outlast the stuff that it was bolted to. He said nowadays instead of making it out to s/s so that it will last a lifetime, they make it out of steel and it usually will still last the rest of their lifetime.
While having a s/s bush hog would be nice in a way, most bush hogs I know will either rust out, get bend up, or the gearbox will tear up. Since s/s only fixes one of those three, why should we waste valuable metals when a lessor one will work.
David from jax

/ Tractor implements made of stainless steel #9  
Zeus1 said:
If it is rusting it isnt stainless! Not talking about 3cr12, it is silver but it ain't stainless. I'm talking about 304L, 316L, or 317L. Just about every fab shop I have been to has tons of scrap stainless piled up. I'm sure if you offer them scrap price they will gladly sell some.

Again depends on the grade

http://www.theruststore.com/Can-stainless-steel-rust-W71C38.aspx

/ Tractor implements made of stainless steel #10  
sandman2234 said:
The reason most shops have s/s piled up, is because it is drops from previous jobs (left overs) and if they use just a single piece on another job, then the cost savings (or pure profit) is usually more than the whole pile would bring at the scrap yard. So... if you do get them to sell you some at scrap prices, consider yourself lucky!
David from jax (who has a pile of s/s around also)

A friend of mine was talking to another long time friend about how they made so much stuff out of s/s, only to have it outlast the stuff that it was bolted to. He said nowadays instead of making it out to s/s so that it will last a lifetime, they make it out of steel and it usually will still last the rest of their lifetime.
While having a s/s bush hog would be nice in a way, most bush hogs I know will either rust out, get bend up, or the gearbox will tear up. Since s/s only fixes one of those three, why should we waste valuable metals when a lessor one will work.
David from jax

I get your point but that sounds like the Walmart approach.