Log splitter build

/ Log splitter build #1  

Zeus1

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 1700 & International Harvester Cub
This weekend I finally made some good progress on my home built log splitter. I got the beam complete except for two brackets on the bottom where it bolts to the hydro tank. I got the hydro tank tacked up. I know it is over kill as to the size, gonna take +- 20 gallons to fill it up. Got tires hubs and some fittings for the hydro tank gonna be here tomorrow. The cylinder, valve, pump and motor should be here by Wednesday. Anyway posted some photos of my progress.

thanks

Attachments

• image-2674000136.jpg
    image-2674000136.jpg
    544.2 KB · Views: 1,333
  • image-2409157945.jpg
    image-2409157945.jpg
    540.8 KB · Views: 1,311
  • image-290163554.jpg
    image-290163554.jpg
    495.8 KB · Views: 1,539
   / Log splitter build #2  
Good for you man!
Looks like it's just about to start looking like a log splitter. I guess the tank is in the first and third picture?
Are just shooting from the hip here or do you have some plans?
Any specs on the cylinder and pump/motor yet?
Gas or electric?

/ Log splitter build
RobertBrown said:
Good for you man!
Looks like it's just about to start looking like a log splitter. I guess the tank is in the first and third picture?
Are just shooting from the hip here or do you have some plans?
Any specs on the cylinder and pump/motor yet?
Gas or electric?

Oh yea. Found a full set off cad drawings on the Internet with a complete parts list too of a horizontal version. I changed that to a horizontal/vertical version. The hydro tank as being a piece of stainless pipe was my doings. Just what I got free and could make it work. Motor is a horizontal Briggs 1150 (8-9 hp), 16 gpm Haldex 2 stage pump with a 4"x24" cylinder all new. Got about 75' of 1/2" 3500 psi hydro hose too for free (only used for a couple days for testing some equipment). I hope to be testing next weekend.

thanks

/ Log splitter build #4  
Oh yea. Found a full set off cad drawings on the Internet with a complete parts list too of a horizontal version. I changed that to a horizontal/vertical version. The hydro tank as being a piece of stainless pipe was my doings. Just what I got free and could make it work. Motor is a horizontal Briggs 1150 (8-9 hp), 16 gpm Haldex 2 stage pump with a 4"x24" cylinder all new. Got about 75' of 1/2" 3500 psi hydro hose too for free (only used for a couple days for testing some equipment). I hope to be testing next weekend.

thanks
hi, don,t forget to brace both ends of the beam,and 1 just behind your wedgeon ram or it will twist like licorice with enough force with a knarly block.my 2 cents.

/ Log splitter build #5  
You might think about what log splitter valve you need or will need in the future .

Single lever valve, two lever valve using one as the log lift, two lever auto valve, etc.

Maybe a wedge lift cyl also.

/ Log splitter build #6  
You don't have to fill the whole tank with oil, as long as your suction is on the lowest spot. The more oil you have the cooler it will run, but I run my splitter on less than 5 gallons of oil and have never had any problems.

/ Log splitter build
Photos of my work in progress. Hope it is running by Sunday evening!

thanks

Attachments

• image-1443814174.jpg
    image-1443814174.jpg
    536.3 KB · Views: 1,151
   / Log splitter build #8  
Looks good...you have skills and work fast.
I read a post here recently about a log that left the splitter prematurely and with considerable velocity.
You may want to consider incorprating provisions to avoid this.
please keep the photos comming and thanks for your time and this thread.

/ Log splitter build #9  
Photos of my work in progress. Hope it is running by Sunday evening!

thanks

Looks great can't wait to see the finished product. I may build one one of these days.

Chad