Brush Cutter Build

/ Brush Cutter Build #1  

tmc_31

Gold Member
Tractor
NH TN70D, NH L190
Hi All,

I am developing plans to build a Brush Cutter to go on the front of my NH 190 skid steer and my NH TN70D tractor. The tractor has a quick attach plate on the FEL and Hyd remotes on the loader.

I have seen several videos of these thing working and I rented a Rhino SM60 to use with the skid steer. I'm very impressed with what they can do. The purpose of developing these plans is to see if I can beat the price of a commercially built brush cutter. I have welders and a fairly well equipped machine shop at home and of course the plans will be tailored towards something I have the equipment and skills to build.

I have posted some questions in the hydraulics forum regarding the hydraulic motor and other drive components. Is it possible to cross link these posts between forums?

Here is the drawing for the brush cutter so far. Much more development to be done.

I would appreciate a reality check for what I am planning. Any suggestions and advise will be most welcome.

Thanks,

Tim

Attachments

• Brushbuster.jpg
    Brushbuster.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 656
   / Brush Cutter Build #2  
why is your stump jumper elliptical? Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

/ Brush Cutter Build
I don't think so swick1. Most of the ones I've seen on shredders are elliptical. It does not show it on the drawing but the stump jumper is somewhat bowl shaped allowing it to ride up and over the "immovable object". My first iteration of this had a round 3/4" thick flat plate for a stump jumper. I felt that it needed to be bowl shaped so I substituted what you see because I can readily buy this component pre-made from a tractor supply house. It would take a pretty big press to shape that 3/4" plate. Although, the inertia of the heavy plate may be an advantage. Oh well, we makes our choices and run with them.

Tim

/ Brush Cutter Build
Typically these brush cutters are used with a skid steer. My hope is to use it in front of my tractor also. The tractor has a cab and is high enough so that I shouldn't be getting much trash slung back at the cab. Are there any good reasons why one shouldn't use one of these on a tractor?

Tim

/ Brush Cutter Build #5  
I dont know about the rhino, but I would take a drive and look at one. I think the big heavy steel "stump Jumper" is the reason mine cuts so good. It is the major design diffrence between a bush hog and the skid steer mounted rotary mowers. You may be able to build one cheaper. I cant address that but After seeing a few manufactured units I didnt think I could do better for the money and laid out the dough!.

/ Brush Cutter Build #6  
you want the weight of a heavy flywheel on a Hydraulically driven unit. A PTO driven mower has the inertia of the engine........ i would run a 1/2 disk with short blades like a davco or diamond mower.

/ Brush Cutter Build #7  
I have a 4' Rhino 3 pt pull behind brush cutter. My first one lasted 15 years. Your design doesn't show the gearbox or any reinforcements crossing the wide expanse of that 6 footer. Even my little 4 footer has an "H" type of bracing around the gearbox [if you are looking down at it] What are you gonna do there?
The stump jumper on the Rhino is round but dished like a dinner plate. Haven't jumped any stumps but lots of rocks and automobile fans. I ran over a fan in my neighbor's yard when she asked me lower her 3 foot weeds while her husband was in Afghanistan. The fan came right up through the deck and was stopped by a non rusty spot.

/ Brush Cutter Build
I have a 4' Rhino 3 pt pull behind brush cutter. My first one lasted 15 years. Your design doesn't show the gearbox or any reinforcements crossing the wide expanse of that 6 footer. Even my little 4 footer has an "H" type of bracing around the gearbox [if you are looking down at it] What are you gonna do there?
The stump jumper on the Rhino is round but dished like a dinner plate. Haven't jumped any stumps but lots of rocks and automobile fans. I ran over a fan in my neighbor's yard when she asked me lower her 3 foot weeds while her husband was in Afghanistan. The fan came right up through the deck and was stopped by a non rusty spot.

I have a Rhino SE7 that has an elliptical stump jumper. Also the Rhino SM60 that I rented to use with my skid steer has an elliptical one. That said, I am waffling back and forth between using one like these that I can purchase pre-made or using a heavy steel disk (3/4") and taking advantage of the flywheel effect. I am looking for CAD drawings of the motor and gearbox that I intend to use, haven't found them yet so may have to draw them myself. I had not selected the motor and gearbox when I posted the drawings.

As for deck reinforcements, the deck and side skirts are to be 1/4" plate. Most likely I will add reinforcement to the top of the deck in the form of 4" and 6" X 1/4" thick channel welded in an H pattern to the top of the deck. Just haven't gotten that far on the drawing yet. I am somewhat concerned about weight and shooting for a final weight of less than 1500 lbs. Before adding this reinforcement and a few other items I am still about 450lbs off of that so far.

Tim

/ Brush Cutter Build #9  
If you are using a hydraulic motor and still want a flywheel effect for the stump jumper. Could you mount a steel plate disk above the stump jumper. Just a thought. maybe you could weld it to the stump jumper in a few places.

/ Brush Cutter Build #10  
Typically these brush cutters are used with a skid steer. My hope is to use it in front of my tractor also. The tractor has a cab and is high enough so that I shouldn't be getting much trash slung back at the cab. Are there any good reasons why one shouldn't use one of these on a tractor?

Tim

The tractor won't have the hydraulic flow rate of a skid steer to properly power the hydraulic motor.