Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    Massey-Ferguson GC2310

Default Re: home made outdoor waste oil boiler experiment

Managed to get some fittings welded into the holes that were cut in the top and sides.

Top bung - 3/4" with 1/4" bushing for pressure testing

-img_2298-jpg

Water outlets to circulate the water 1" bungs welded in-place. They are ground flush to allow the center bits to slide in for welding

-img_2305-jpg

Tractor supply primer painted on there to prevent rusting. I have a feeling this may cause some problems in the future - but hey, it's the first that may not work anyways

-img_2306-jpg

Tractor
    Kubota L3200, Ford 1210

Quote Originally Posted by Stick895 View Post
    I'm no en-gineer but this seems like a project that shouldn't be done in a home built manner. Just my $.02
    I'm not an engineer either (nor did I catch a few Z's at the Holiday Inn Express) but am not all that concerned about safety. Gardrail did say it will be outside and will have a relief valve. My worry is the current design is short on surface area for heat transfer and cross-sectional area for exhaust flow. I would expect to see a bundle of tubes.

I do applaud the effort and it does look like an interesting undertaking. I have a bud who heats his shop with an old oil gun in a 14" pipe. He uses regular heating oil in his though.

Tractor
    NH TC29DA Bolens G14 Skytrac 5028 Dodge Cummins Jeep Rubicon Grizzly 700

As Chim said, the surface area seems really limited. Before you weld it closed, maybe put a baffle of some design to make the water pass back and forth over the tubes and be more turbulent.

At least you probably won't have any condensing problems in the exhaust system and it will be fun to see how it works. Then you can make the next generation and address any weakness.

BE SURE TO USE A PRESSURE RELIEF. A standard hydronic relief is set a 30 PSI, or are you planning on running the system at higher pressure?

I like projects like this.
    John

I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    jd 1050 LS I3040H. CASE SC

Be sure to put more than enough relief valve(s)! Configure the exhaust tubes in a manner that will allow for easy cleanout / brushing. Waste oil gases and low temperatures will soot up quickly and will require frequent cleaning unless you get the burner tuned just right.
    LS I3040H w/ loader
    JD 1050 w/ loader and backhoe
    Case SC. 1952

Tractor
    Massey-Ferguson GC2310

Thanks for the suggestions!

I stopped by the local plumbing supply shop to pick up the couplers (lowes and home depot only had the cast iron ones) and priced out the residential pressure relief valve (30psi) - that's why I went with a 3/4" connector on the top so the valve can go there.

The idea of cleaning out the exhaust tubes that go through the boiler itself is in the back of my mind as I build this out. I'm envisioning some kinda flange that I can attach the chimney to that can be easily removed so that a wire brush can be run through the tubes every now and again. Until I get this thing dialed in, I expect to find soot everywhere.

On a side note - I bet a pretty sweet forge could be built using those siphon nozzles from Patriot Supply. With enough air/O2, and the 1 gallon per hour nozzle I bet most things could be rendered to ash or a molten puddle of ooze.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4200 w/backhoe, Ford 3000,580 Case backhoe

Quote Originally Posted by chim View Post
    I'm not an engineer either (nor did I catch a few Z's at the Holiday Inn Express) but am not all that concerned about safety. Gardrail did say it will be outside and will have a relief valve. My worry is the current design is short on surface area for heat transfer and cross-sectional area for exhaust flow. I would expect to see a bundle of tubes.

I do applaud the effort and it does look like an interesting undertaking. I have a bud who heats his shop with an old oil gun in a 14" pipe. He uses regular heating oil in his though.
    I agree,you need a lot more tubing to make this work.

Tractor
    Massey-Ferguson GC2310

hot gasses go through the black iron pipe - not water

I don't trust my welds that much

Tractor
    Kubota L3200, Ford 1210

Quote Originally Posted by gardrail View Post
    hot gasses go through the black iron pipe - not water

Yep, understood that. Our company installs - not designs -various heat exchangers. Some are steam to water, others are water to water. Two types we encounter regularly are plate type and tube type. All the tube type heat exchangers I've seen have bundles of tubes that are very close together. One big deal with any heat exchanger is having sufficient surface area for the heat to be "exchanged".

Google "tube type heat exchanger" and you'll see what I mean.
    Last edited by chim; 07-31-2012 at 10:08 PM. Reason: kant spel

Tractor
    Massey-Ferguson GC2310

Quote Originally Posted by chim View Post
    Yep, understood that. Our company installs - not designs -various heat exchangers. Some are steam to water, others are water to water. Two types we encounter regularly are plate type and tube type. All the tube type heat exchangers I've seen have bundles of tubes that are very close together. One big deal with any heat exchanger is having sufficient surface area for the heat to be "exchanged".

Google "tube type heat exchanger" and you'll see what I mean.
    Ah! I totally see what ya mean! Unfortunately I think I'm a bit too far in the design of the guts on this one. The next one I'll probably use 3/4" EMT instead of 1" black iron so that more surface area is available. I also got some ideas for baffles from a few of the images I saw - i think a 2.0 version will need to be built after I finish this one.

It's not a total loss as I'm picking up some welding skills, and if all of the welds are water tight - some confidence in my own abilities.

As far as surface area for this model, it looks like with the pipes i'll have ~ 497 square inches of surface area on the pipes, and an additional 30 square inches on the bottom plate

Tractor
    JD 5085M; NH TN70A; Ford 2600

I'm impressed. At least you're trying. I've thought about a waste oil heater for years, but never did anything about it.

As far as your "engineering" goes, I wouldn't worry about it. I think it has to work. Maybe not the most efficient design, but we're talking waste oil. It's not like you're paying $4/gallon for it.
    Think about a water heater in an RV. It is an air-to-water heat exchanger, and it has a single burner tube in a 6 gallon tank.
    '10 JD 5085M Cab MFWD FEL
    '07 NH TN70A MFWD FEL
    '81 Ford 2600

JD 457 round baler; JD 265 & Kuhn GMD 600 disc mowers; Sitrex V-10 rake; Hardee 10', Rhino 7', & Modern 5' rotary mowers; JD 13' & Ford 6' tandem discs; HayKing 10' rennovator plow (sub-soiler); etc, etc.
    My other tractor is a '95 Kenworth.

Dont ever wrestle with a pig. Youll both get dirty, but the pig will enjoy it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast