Post for workshop.....Solid vs Glulam

/ Post for workshop.....Solid vs Glulam #1  

Kenfyoozed

Silver Member
Tractor
1974 MF135
I will be building a workshop. I had the plans drawn up by an enginner that draws these type plans on a regular bassis. He does so fo one of the local builders who builds post frame shops. Im my plans the post are listed as 4ply 2x8 glulam post. Its a very tall shop, 18' eave height, 30'x40 shop with a 10' lean-to off the back. The detailed notes calls for these 4ply glulam post OR engineer approved equal. The acutal size of these post are 7" x 5.375". My question is.....Would a 8x8 southern yellow pine pressure treated be equal?

I have sent a message to the enginner to ask as well, but thought i would ask here and see what answers i would get. The reason im looking else where is beacause of the price of the poles. The actual price of the poles i can handle, but the place im ordering from wants 1900$ for shipping. Beacuse of the size, they normally only carry 3ply. I could wait until they place an order, but then they want to split the cost of shipping.Which is better, but if i wasnt going to order they would have to pay the shipping all the same. They told me the shipping is the same price for one pole as it would be for an entire trailer load. I would think they wouldnt charge me a shipping price if they were going to order mine with their normal order. Especially if they wanted me to buy the other supplys for my shop from them. And yes they are the only ones in town who can order there poles. Ok Rant over...:mad:

I can get sold post local at any time i want, as another place keeps many lengths in stock. So what are y'alls thoughts?

And thank you in advance.

/ Post for workshop.....Solid vs Glulam #2  
My .02 worth , glulam beams are set in a press straightened and glued , if I understand you right , your contemplating making your own, the home made beams would probably be as strong , but NOT as straight so finish issues might arise as you move along .8x6 solid post might have the same issues though. 18 foot eve would be what 22-24 foot post depending on how deep they have to be set.If you have the capabilities , you might be able to build a jig out of steel to build your own glulam beams in allowing you to straighten , glue, clamp and nail to get them as straight as possible. dont know what is the best procces. seems every time I try to save a dollar it cost more in the long run, But I can say I screwed THAT Up all by myself !!

/ Post for workshop.....Solid vs Glulam #3  
The only answer is what your engineer signs off on

/ Post for workshop.....Solid vs Glulam
My .02 worth , glulam beams are set in a press straightened and glued , if I understand you right , your contemplating making your own, the home made beams would probably be as strong , but NOT as straight so finish issues might arise as you move along .8x6 solid post might have the same issues though. 18 foot eve would be what 22-24 foot post depending on how deep they have to be set.If you have the capabilities , you might be able to build a jig out of steel to build your own glulam beams in allowing you to straighten , glue, clamp and nail to get them as straight as possible. dont know what is the best procces. seems every time I try to save a dollar it cost more in the long run, But I can say I screwed THAT Up all by myself !!

No sir,my question was basiclly would a solid 8x8 be structurely superior or equal to a 4ply glulam post? Thank you for your help though.

And yes im sure my engineer will have to sign off on it, but thought while i was waiting i could ask the same question here.

Thanks Again guys.

/ Post for workshop.....Solid vs Glulam #5  
I would think that a solid 8x8 would be strong enough but it might twist a bit when drying as they sometimes do especiallly if not corner braced. Does this design call for them to be buried in the dirt of bolted to a slab or concrete column. I wouldnt want to bury anything that was glued together so I suspect that they are anchored to a slab or column. I would bet that your engineer would sign off on the 8x8.

/ Post for workshop.....Solid vs Glulam #6  
My gut reaction is that a glued up beam will be superior because it won't be subject to flaws in the wood that can pass through the entire section, like checks, knots, etc. With 4 plies, the defect can only affect 25% of the glulam's cross section. I would think the glulam would be much more stable, as Gary suggested, giving you straighter frames with less residual stresses. But then I'm no civil engineer.
-Jim

/ Post for workshop.....Solid vs Glulam
These will be burried 5 feet deep. The glulam will be treated 6-7', and the solid most likley will be fully treated. Many of the buildings around ( South Alabama) here are built with the glulam treated at the ground contact area. Im getting a few other quotes, from places with shipping from as far away as PA, and Washington State, that are still 1500-1700$ cheaper than my local place. Crazy.

/ Post for workshop.....Solid vs Glulam #9  
How tall is the post? It may be difficult if not impossible to find it in solid stock if it is very long. It may be EXTREMEMLY hard to find a straight one that stays straight. Glulams are also likely to be graded for higher load capacities as they are selected from graded boards and the knots and splits are cut out before laying up the glulam. You can't do that with a solid sawn post. You will likely get a better quality item with the glulam but pay more for it. Since it sounds like you need an engineer for the structural work, he will be the final say, assuming the inspectors are happy with his spec's at plan review.

/ Post for workshop.....Solid vs Glulam #10  
My 2 cents say that no engineered, glued together, and buried in the ground scientific surety is going to beat a twisted up, checked, and bug eaten 8x8. Time tested and grandma approved, that's how I like my barns. Call me old fashioned, but the gluelam seems new fangled to me.