Where is the technical info on sprayers

/ Where is the technical info on sprayers #1  

jdm0125

Tractor
Ford 3000
Hey everyone I don't do a lot of posting but I do a lot of reading and want to thank everyone for posting. You guys have saved me a lot of headache.

My current project is building a boom sprayer. There is a lot of post about boom sprayers but have not found any on the details. I currently have a fimco 15gal 1.8 gpm single row (4 nozzle ) sprayer. I am looking to build a boom and have a lot a ideas thanks to yall's posts. What I need to know is how many gpm is required for a standard nozzel (bought from agri). I would like to add 10-14 nozzles about 10' boom on each side of tractor. If I mirror what I currently have 1.8gpm x 4 nozzles I would need about a 12.3 gpm pump. Is this thinking correct?

/ Where is the technical info on sprayers
JimRB said:
http://www.teejet.com/english/home/tech-support/nozzle-technical-information/spray-tip-wear.aspx Look around at this web site which should have all your answers. There is no such thing as a standard nozzle. While your local store may stock one or two nozzles you might find 50 in the teejet catalog.

JimRB that site has a lot of useful information that I can use once I figure out the pump. If I currently had a set up I could take some measurements and gauge readings to figure out what size pump to upgrade to but I have nothing to start with. I would just hate to spend $200 on a pump and it not be enough gpm or psi.

Is there a general rule of thumb I.e. 1 gpm with 1psi = 1 nozzle or anything like that.

/ Where is the technical info on sprayers #4  
You want 10' of boom on each side of your tractor! 20' of boom is a lot. I have a heavily modified FIMCO 55-gallon sprayer that came with a 7-nozzle 12' three-section boom and I find that to be plenty for my use. https://picasaweb.google.com/110106108324823291002/FIMCOSprayer#

Since your pump is 1.8 GPM and it's on a 15-gallon tank, I'm assuming its an electric pump.

What size tractor are you using with this sprayer? How much area are you spraying? Some additional details will help us out.

As JimRB said, there is no such thing as a standard nozzle. The Tee-Jet web site has quite a bit of information too.

mjncad said:
You want 10' of boom on each side of your tractor! 20' of boom is a lot. I have a heavily modified FIMCO 55-gallon sprayer that came with a 7-nozzle 12' three-section boom and I find that to be plenty for my use. https://picasaweb.google.com/110106108324823291002/FIMCOSprayer#

Since your pump is 1.8 GPM and it's on a 15-gallon tank, I'm assuming its an electric pump.

What size tractor are you using with this sprayer? How much area are you spraying? Some additional details will help us out.

As JimRB said, there is no such thing as a standard nozzle. The Tee-Jet web site has quite a bit of information too.

Yes it is a electric pump. I have a diesel ford 3000. I am spraying 1/2 acre and 1 acre food plots and a 3 acre garden. My garden this year was 110 rows and as you can image it takes a lot of time to go back and forth 110 times spraying. My rows are about 80 yards long. My current spray setup will only spray 1 row and not in between them which leaves me doing a lot of pulling weeds by hand. Not to mentioned that makes the wife frustrated to have to pull so many weeds. Since I have so many different crops and use different chemicals I want to stay away from the nozzles that shoot sideways several feet and would like to keep my nozzles on drop downs to keep overspray to a minimum.

A 20' boom will allow me to spray 5 rows at a time ( 2.5 rows on each side) my rows are 48" centers.

I hope this helps

/ Where is the technical info on sprayers #6  
With that much to spray, I'd get a 55 - 100 gallon three-point-hitch sprayer with a 6-roller roller pump as a minimum. I have 3-acres I need to spray to make the CRP (Conservation Resource Program) folks happy, and in theory, my FIMCO sprayer should be able to make two-passes at 5% solution of generic roundup to kill off the existing vegetation.

A 15-gallon tank is going to need constant refilling, and that electric pump will burn out from constant use. Don't use a tow-behind unit because it becomes a pain to back up if you need to do that as part of your spraying chores.

Get yourself one of these to figure out how much chemical you need. Field Sprayer Calibrator - GEMPLER'S

mjncad said:
With that much to spray, I'd get a 55 - 100 gallon three-point-hitch sprayer with a 6-roller roller pump as a minimum. I have 3-acres I need to spray to make the CRP (Conservation Resource Program) folks happy, and in theory, my FIMCO sprayer should be able to make two-passes at 5% solution of generic roundup to kill off the existing vegetation.

A 15-gallon tank is going to need constant refilling, and that electric pump will burn out from constant use. Don't use a tow-behind unit because it becomes a pain to back up if you need to do that as part of your spraying chores.

Get yourself one of these to figure out how much chemical you need. Field Sprayer Calibrator - GEMPLER'S

Thanks for the info I will definitely get one of those bottles. As far as my tank size I like my 15 gal because all the different crops I am spraying it takes different chemicals. I can spray all of my corn rows with 1 tank then I can clean my tank and switch chemicals then spray all my beans with one tank etc. with the 15 gal tank I have little waste. Plus I do not have 6-7 hundred for a new setup so I was looking to upgrade my current setup if I can for 2-3 hundred.

/ Where is the technical info on sprayers #8  
In your first post you mentioned 1.8 gpm nozzles. I spray herbicides in Christmas trees, and use 0.3 gpm nozzles (TeeJet 8003) at 40 psi. Using a 1.8 gpm nozzle would require me to travel at about 15mph or spraying a swath at least 10 ft wide. To a certain degree, the pump output need not govern your spray program, however knowing the output is critical.

Effective spraying to accomplish the manufacturer's intent all boils down to amount of active ingredient (the chemical) applied per acre or per 1000 sq ft. This number is a function of chemical concentration, spray pressure, nozzle size and application speed. For your solution, the TeeJet website would be my first choice. It probably has a section on calibrating a sprayer. Read it, study it, and practice with plain water. If you follow the instructions, you will be OK

/ Where is the technical info on sprayers #9  
I would suggest that you get a 6 roller pump driven by the tractor PTO. A chain attached to the pump and anchored to the tractor keeps the pump from spinning with the shaft. Run the suction from your 15 gallon tank into the pump then the output goes into an adjustable pressure regulator. The pressure regulator should have a bypass that directs the unused liquid back to the tank. This unused liquid circulates to keep all the chemicals mixed. The output from the regulator goes directly to your boom and to your nozzles. With this pump, you can supply 40 foot of boom with nozzles every 12" and still have plenty of GPM to supply the return.
The pressure regulator allows adjustment of the output presssure to the nozzles. Nozzles can be flat or round spray pattern but most folk use the flat spray for chemical application. Depending on the height from the ground of the spray bar and a few other consideations, you chose the nozzle pattern that suits your needs. Each type of nozzle will deliver a set amount of liquid per minute at a specified pressure. MORE pressure= more volume therefore allowing you to either go faster or deliver more water per acre.

tree grower said:
In your first post you mentioned 1.8 gpm nozzles. I spray herbicides in Christmas trees, and use 0.3 gpm nozzles (TeeJet 8003) at 40 psi. Using a 1.8 gpm nozzle would require me to travel at about 15mph or spraying a swath at least 10 ft wide. To a certain degree, the pump output need not govern your spray program, however knowing the output is critical.

Effective spraying to accomplish the manufacturer's intent all boils down to amount of active ingredient (the chemical) applied per acre or per 1000 sq ft. This number is a function of chemical concentration, spray pressure, nozzle size and application speed. For your solution, the TeeJet website would be my first choice. It probably has a section on calibrating a sprayer. Read it, study it, and practice with plain water. If you follow the instructions, you will be OK

Tree growers might of not communicated correctly my current electric pump is 1.8 gpm I have no idea what the nozzles are except that they are yellow. I will definitely take your advise and get some TeeJet nozzles and read up on the website